“The vast majority of bloggers out there are responsible correspondents doing fine work in niche reporting fields like Gilmore Girl fan fiction, or cute things their cats do, or photoshopped images of the Gilmore Girls as cats. That’s great. Where I draw the line is with these attack-bloggers. Just someone with a computer who gathers, collates and publishes accurate information that is then read by the general public. They have no credibility. All they have is facts. Spare me.”
– Stephen Colbert
IN A NUTSHELL – WE’RE STEPHEN FANS
or Why We Do This – by DB Ferguson
MISSION STATEMENTS ROCK!
The purpose of this fan site is to aggregate topical news articles and buzz from the blogosphere into a comprehensive Colbert-centric news source. We also feature exclusive interviews, daily Episode Guides, and breaking news updates with live coverage of events.
WHY NO FACT ZONE FOR THE SITE NAME?
The term “No Fact Zone” comes from a sketch that was originally done during Colbert’s stint on ‘The Daily Show’. TDS ran multiple parody commercials for the then-non existent show for Stephen, called ‘The Colbert Report’. One of the lines in one of these promos has Stephen parodying Bill O-Reilly’s No Spin Zone with the line, “Come take a spin in the No-Fact Zone!” It seemed appropriate, and when I found the quote at the header of this page, I realized I had found a fantastic site name.
BUILDING THE BEST STEPHEN COLBERT FAN SITE ON THE WEB
EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS
We’ve had the fortune to garner exclusive interviews with people such as Ben Karlin (co-creator and former Executive Producer, ‘The Colbert Report’), Mark Malkoff (audience coordinator, ‘The Colbert Report’), and guests who have appeared on ‘The Colbert Report.’ No Fact Zone has also featured exclusive interviews from ‘Daily Show’ notables John Oliver (‘Daily Show’ Correspondent) and David Javerbaum (former ‘Daily Show’ Executive Producer).
[Note from DB: For our final news story here, we featured an exclusive interview with late night television host Stephen Colbert.]
We’ve also gained a loyal readership of a crew we call the “Zoners” who have tipped us off to some amazing scoops, the biggest two so far being our breaking of the Ben & Jerry’s Stephen Colbert’s AmeriCone Dream story and the Richard Branson water fight.
The WØRD: AUTHORITY – KEY MILESTONES FOR NO FACT ZONE
Media Representative – “Rally to Restore Sanity” Post-Rally Press interview (October 30, 2010)
- From 1000+ applications for press credentials, only 81 media representatives received personal invitations to this event from Tony Fox, VP of Public Relations at Viacom International.
The ‘Colbert Report’ writers praise No Fact Zone – “The Truthiness Behind the Lines” at the Paley Center (November 7, 2009)
- ‘Colbert Report’ writers Rob Dubbin, Meredith Scardino and Peter Gwinn discuss the influence of No Fact Zone on the show during this panel interview. According to Dubbin, the staff at the ‘Colbert Report’ was so impressed with the work on the No Fact Zone site that the show completely redesigned their original web site. Dubbin says that “[The staff at No Fact Zone] were on top of everything. We couldn’t be better than they were at following our own show.” Gwinn follows up this comment by saying, “I’ve learned about future guests [from No Fact Zone]… no one’s told me, and I work in the building!”
Stephen Colbert mentions No Fact Zone on the Colbert Report – Mahmoud’s Non-Consensual Endorsement Deal (March 12, 2009)
- Stephen Colbert credits No Fact Zone for finding the scoop on an endorsement deal he did not approve.
Webmaster DB Ferguson interviewed by the LA Times – Stephen Colbert’s Name Game – LA Times (October 11, 2009)
- The author of the article refers to No Fact Zone as “the biggest fan site” for Stephen Colbert.
A comment on No Fact Zone becomes a story on the ‘Colbert Report’ – Colbert-Branson Interview Trainwreck (August 16, 2007)
- After breaking this news from a comment left in our blog, the story was picked up by MediaBistro.com, and then by BoingBoing and Wired.com, and confirmed on the blog of ‘Colbert Report’ guest Ian Bogost. The story was then picked up nationally and internationally, and eventually mentioned on the show as buildup for the presentation of the interview.
Bonus Video … Recognition?
Let’s all play a game of “Fox News FAIL” (December 3, 2010)
- First, let me say yay for Fox News 4 in Kansas City, Kansas spotlighting the great charity that is Donors Choose, and highlighting how the Colbert Nation has made a difference in those kid’s lives. The report on the result of Kansas City music teacher Beth Wheeler’s Donors Choose campaign was really great to see, and the sparkle in those kids eyes as they talked about getting to play the instruments that were furnished by Donors Choose donations was very touching. However …. there’s one small error in this video report. Can you spot it?
Since its humble inception, this blog has become one of the most relevant and popular Stephen Colbert fan sites on the web. We have been linked by some pretty major mainstream news sources and popular entertainment blogs such as:
- ColbertNation.com (official site of The Colbert Report) – Permalink, Fan Sites [until 2012]
- Comedy Central Insider Blog – Permalink, Listed under “Funny Links” [until 2012]
- Indecision 2008 Blog – Permalink, Listed under “Blog Roll” [until 2012]
- Things I’ve Learned From Women Who’ve Dumped Me – Official Site, listed under “Contributors – Stephen Colbert”
- CNN.com – How Stewart-Colbert rally, social media can boost voter turnout (10/28/2010)
- New York magazine Entertainment Blog – Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell Celebrate Second City’s 50th Anniversary (12/13/2009)
- Craig Newmark blog [founder of Craigslist] – Colbert Nation supports Iraq/Afghanistan war vets (9/10/2009)
- ChicagoTribune.com – Stephen Colbert’s face: The real story (or not) (6/25/2008)
- Videogum – If Stephen Colbert Is In The Love Guru, Do We Still Have To Hate It? (5/27/2008)
- Deadspin.com – Puck Headlines (3/13/2008)
- BestWeekEver – Monumental Moments For Colbert (1/24/2008)
- PopWatch blog (EW.com) – Who dat? (5/11/2007)
- Ben & Jerry’s Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream ice cream:
Our exclusive story was picked up by numerous high-profile blogs and news sources, such as The Huffington Post, BoingBoing and VH1’s Best Week Ever.
- The Austin American-Statesman: Entertainment blog (Michael Barnes) – Our exclusive story on a segment filmed in Austin was picked up by this Austin blog (12/26/2006)
- Chicago Tribune: The Watcher Blog (Maureen Ryan) – ‘The Colbert Report’s’ guitar shredathon brings in the big guns (12/21/2006)
- The Huffington Post: Eat The Press (Rachel Sklar) – Daily Show Update: Steve Bodow New Head Writer; Simpsons’ Josh Lieb Joins As New Co-Exec Producer (12/1/2006)
- PBS.Org: Media Shift – “Stephen Colbert: Don’t Love and Leave YouTube” (10/30/2006)
- The Huffington Post: Eat The Press (Rachel Sklar) – Stephen Colbert’s Web Dominance: How “The Colbert Report” Is Fast Becoming The Leader In Web-TV Integration (8/22/2006)
- TV Squad.com (Annie Wu) – The Stephen Colbert Bridge needs you! (8/10/2006)