Stephen’s Fave Film — PLUS his BFF at Barnes & Noble in NYC

NetworkHello, everyone!

As long as we’re still up, we’ll keep bringing you all the news that’s fit to print. (Hmm–someone should use that line…) And here are two tidbits, one about an interview with Stephen and the other about Jimmy Fallon.

Today, in the New York Times, Stephen chatted about the seminal film Network –his favorite movie–in the Arts Beat column. It’s a wonderful and revealing discussion, and with the film’s focus on false news, it’s just perfect for the host of The Colbert Report. I personally love his emphasis on the quality of Paddy Chayefsky’s writing.

Also, for those of you in New York who are fans of Stephen’s BFF Jimmy Fallon, come to the Union Square Barnes & Noble on May 25th. He’ll be there to discuss his book Thank You Notes.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. pkyoubuggin says:

what an awesome interview with NYT! i haven’t seen Network but now must.

2. Mariana says:

This is fabulous! Time to rewatch Network. You must really love this, being a film person, Karenatasha. I like how Stephen stuck to what he wanted to say about the movie, despite the interviewer’s agenda. Funny choice of photo though–isn’t that Stephen’s air guitar face?

• Karenatasha says:

Yes, Mariana, I thought it was a fine interview with Stephen, and I really enjoyed his perspective.

As for the photo, I assume they just wanted to match the Network shot with one of Stephen also with his mouth open in a shout. I’M MAD AS HELL AND I’M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE!

Leave it to Stephen to point out the madness of antihero Beale. He’s right, and that’s generally forgotten.

One thing I’m wondering though: that Beatrice Straight gave the shortest screen performance ever to have won an Oscar for acting. That may have been true then, and I don’t know for sure, but I’m wondering about Judi Dench’s supporting actress Oscar for her Queen Elizabeth in “Shakespeare in Love.” That’s pretty brief; only a few moments long.

• Mariana says:

Haha- Yes I got what they were going for with the picture; I just thought it was funny because Stephen was not trying to convey the same sentiment there.
        Good question about Judi Dench. According to Wikipedia, Beatrice Straight holds the record at 5 minutes, 40 seconds. Judi Dench’s second-shortest Oscar winning performance was 6 minutes long.

• Karenatasha says:

Thanks for checking that, Mariana!

I guess different sentiments, both expressed in an uninhibited manner.

What a great article! While it doesn’t surprise me, it does continue to amaze me how wickedly smart Stephen is. To hear him deconstruct that film and all of its character aspects was delightful. And he always speaks so eloquently when he’s trying to explain his feelings about something – I wish I knew more people in my daily life who talked like him. I have never seen Network, but I have always wanted to. Now I have a wonderful reminder to check it out.

• Karenatasha says:

You should definitely see the film. It was ahead of its time and Stephen was 100% correct about the Paddy Chayefsky screenplay.

Darn! I just realized that in my questions for the interview I didn’t put in one about the film I’d love to see him remake: A Face in the Crowd, which similarly deals with TV and manipulation. Oh well.

Oh, and DOHHHHH. How remiss I was: our wonderful Ms. Interpreted found the NYT link. She was busy putting the finishing touches on her great final post, so I blogged it. Thanks, Ms!