SNL brings back the Ambiguously Gay Duo – LIVE!

Thank God for Twitter! And the Internet in general. Without them, I wouldn’t have known that Stephen made a surprise appearance on Saturday Night Live last night. I haven’t watched SNL in close to two decades, and right now I’m sorry I didn’t stay up for it this weekend. The Ambiguously Gay Duo returned to the show in one of the most hilarious sketches I’ve ever seen. It’s a combination of the cartoon and live action, with appearances by host Ed Helms, Steve Carell, Jimmy Fallon (who I must say is remarkably… flexible), Jon Hamm, and Stephen Colbert. Enjoy!

Thanks to Zoner Raven for letting us know the video was online!

Comments

I am kicking myself for missing this last night!! That is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen. And I love that Stephen co-wrote it. I’m sure they’ll replay the episode over the summer. Can’t wait!

2. colbaby says:

*grabby hand* Full length motion picture pleeeeaase.

Difference makers: Thumb up +8

3. Oh my!

4. pkyoubuggin says:

What a treat! To see Ed Helms, Carell, Colbert together, plus Fallon and John Hamm. I would have liked to have seen Carell and Colbert in those outfits, but making Stephen the brainiac guy is staying truer to character, I guess.
    It would be a great film; maybe this is a teaser for, ahem, bigger things to come! (Also, you can totally tell that Stephen wrote a lot of the dialogue, it is full of his epic double entendres:)

Difference makers: Thumb up +10

5. Caroline says:

OMG, that was great! I loved the live part. Jimmy Fallon and Jon Hamm are such great sports! And I agree, you could totally tell that Stephen wrote a lot of the dialogue.

Did Steve Carell play a live part? Which one?

• Steve Carell was the big-headed guy. That prosthetic he had glued to his head pretty much obscured his looks. I had to watch the video a couple of times myself to figure it out.

That “What are you looking at?!?” at the end is still completely cracking me up!

• Galadriel says:

If you look reaaaaaaaly closely, I think Steve Carrell was also one of the foot-soldiers (the guy in the front when seen from the side, and the middle one when seen from the front). You have to be watching and notice how they cut in those foot soldier scenes, but I’m pretty sure it’s him.

What FUN!

recaptcha: elfice flow

6. Ms Interpreted says:

That was beautiful. My God, I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. I laughed LONG, HARD, OVER and OVER.

;)

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

• pkyoubuggin says:

Nice to hear from you, Ms I! Hope you are doing well. I laughed a little too hard as well.

7. Honestly! Where does the man find the time?! It had to have been done this week in order to edit for broadcast last night. He writes, produces, and performs his shows all week, travels to DC to file forms at the FEC and finds time to appear with his TDS buddies in an SNL short. I love seeing Stephen with Steve and his BFFSM, Jimmy. Here’s to hoping NBC has some behind the scenes footage of the guys making this… :)

Difference makers: Thumb up +6

• I would love to see some behind the scenes action!

Thanks for posting this clip. I seldom watch SNL anymore (even then, it’s usually on hulu), & hadn’t seen this week’s past the monologue. Taking the animation live-action was brilliant.

8. Arkadina says:

“We’re sorry, but the clip you selected isn’t available from your location. Please select another clip.”

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! *shakes fist and kicks cat*

9. Seriously, I think the man just doesn’t sleep. Maybe they filmed it over the last break. Who knows?
    I read the comments before I watched it so I knew who Steve Carell was, but I didn’t believe it until I heard him saying…something, can’t remember but at that point I recognized his voice.
    Thank God for online viewing. I haven’t watched SNL in ages. I would’ve been kicking myself for missing this.

10. It shames me to admit it but this is actually the first time I’ve watched “The Ambiguously Gay Duo”. That is about to change!! I thought the sketch was hilarious, and Stephen as always was brilliant. I seriously don’t know how he finds time to do all of this, he surely has to be the first human clone.

11. Laaaura says:

omg, earlier today I found out that Chris Colfer from Glee was a surprise guest in a skit last night and now I find out that Stephen Colbert and Steve Carell were in a skit! What a great episode!

12. It was all great… but I must add, petulantly, I still wished it had been Stephen in the hero costume! Oh, I know Hamm has the chiseled looks — but still! (*stomping foot on floor*) And yes, he was great as the brainiac. I don’t know where he finds the time, either. But it sure looks like he’s having fun!

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

• Arkadina says:

I had this horrible moment to start with where I thought Stephen was Larry David…..

Jon Hamm! I think that was the funniest thing about it. Don Draper – my other favourite Brooks Brothers suit-wearing, slicked-back hair-modelling, all-handsome devil – will never be quite the same again to me now!

13. Bentley! says:

I have loved the AGD for years, but then I had a TV-less decade and didn’t even know they were still around. I frankly was enjoying it without trying to identify people, but then the guy with the, uh — the guy that wanted the other people to focus — that guy . . . Well, he made a face I had just seen Chuck Noblet make and that’s how I recognized Stephen. And I got all warm and fuzzy and had to back up and replay what I had missed.

14. jbirdNZ says:

“What are you looking at?” “NOTHING!”

I think I nearly laid an egg from laughing, seriously.

Thanks to Katt and leorabk for the links, gotta love YouTube.