Six Degrees: Brain Freeze Edition.

G’day Zoners! I don’t know about you, but I am still stuck in a post Ben & Jerry’s brain freeze of joy. Only Stephen could make chocolate coated potato chips and salty caramel swirl sound tasty. But I digress. In this week’s Six Degrees round-up; “Earth (The Audio Book)” receives more award nominations, Kristen Schaal features in a new “The National’s” film clip, Jimmy Fallon appears at The Paley Center, Allison Silverman appears on “This American Life”, and Conan O’Brien, Jon Stewart and Lewis Black are to be featured in Comedy Central’s tribute to the late Greg Giraldo.

The Daily Show

The Daily Show

• “Earth (The AudioBook)” has been nominated for an Audie Award in the “Humour” Category.

John Oliver (Correspondant/Writer)

• John talks to the Houtson Press about working on “The Daily Show”, and his stand up his career.

Kevin Bleyer (Writer)

• Kevin talks to The Sun Sentinel about working on “The Daily Show” and his upcoming book on how to fix the US Constitution.

Kristen Schaal (Contributor)

Paul Mecurio (Warm-Up Comedian)

Samantha Bee (Writer)

Wyatt Cenac (Correspondant/Writer)

The Colbert Report

Allison Silverman (Former Exec-Producer and Head Writer)

Jay Katsir (Writer) Rob Dubbin (Writer)

Friends of the Show

Conan O’Brien (Conan) and Jon Stewart (The Daily Show)

Conan O’Brien (Conan), Jon Stewart (The Daily Show) and Lewis Black (The Daily Show)

David Sedaris (Friend of the Show)

• “Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk” (audiobook) has been nominated for a Audie Award in the “Humour” Category.

Greg Hollimon (Strangers with Candy)

Jimmy Fallon (Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and Stephen’s 6 Month BFF)

Comments

1. Mr. Arkadin says:

Holy Cr@p! I tried to clicked on the the link to the Alison Silverman story & I got “Error 404″ and an amazing graphic of a bear with the caption “This page has been killed by a Godless killing machine!” Too cool! Has that always been like that? I may spend the rest of the day clicking on the link just to see that graphic again! ;)

2. Mr. Arkadin says:

Correction. The page reads: “The page you were looking for has been eaten by a godless killing machine!”

• Rebecca-Anne says:

Oh not fair, I didn’t get to see it!! It just sent me to the website. Is it wrong that I want to see an error message?

• Mr. Arkadin says:

It looks like it’s been fixed. I don’t get the error message either. :(

3. Mr. Arkadin says:

OMG! Zoners you have to listen to Alison Silverman’s story on This American Life. It’s jaw dropping!
    Thank you so much Katt for bring it to my attention.

4. Okay. When I clicked on the Alison Silverman link above for “This is Your Life,” it took me directly to Amazon.com to buy the CD set. How do I get to hear her “jaw dropping” story?!?

• Mr. Arkadin says:

SW. Click on the “This American Life” link next to the “This Is Your Life” link.

• Well, I think this is the second Oooops you’ve heard from me. I actually did try that, but I guess all the graphics confused me and I went into some sort of dream-like state, wherein I could not figure out the obvious!
        Thanks! I look forward to listening to it later tonight!

• Well, I listened to the Alison Silverman link… but I was not prepared for the impact. WOW. Absolutely unbelievable. What incredible stories. And how incredible that she wove that all together into such a brilliant narrative. I think, believe it or not, that this ties in with why we all love the Colbert Report. It has to do with depth and compassion that underlies the humor. I know Alison Silverman is no longer with the show, but she is certainly responsible for bringing something extraordinary to the show from the start. I hope everyone gets to listen to that link.

• Mr. Arkadin says:

I’m so glad you listen to & enjoyed the show!

And I have no doubt that her impact on TCR was decisive to it’s greatness & lasting.

recaptcha: toupa rat-free. :D

5. I have to admit the only reason I’m posting this comment is because the recaptcha was interesting:

Lon butta.
    :-)

6. Has NFZ noted that Jon Stewart and The Daily Show are featured somewhat prominently in The Adjustment Bureau? A clip of Matt Damon’s Congressman character appearing on the show is included in the opening montage, and in the second half of the movie he goes back on the show and there’s some short scenes that take place “backstage.”

The funny thing is that the appearances take place in 2007 and 2010, I believe, but Jon looks the same (and the show is shot in HD) both times. I think the audience around me really appreciated me noting these errors out loud in the middle of the film.

• Ah, I did not know about this. Thanks! And good job schooling those around you lol.

Thanks for reminding me of that, RobM! I definitely noticed that when I saw The Adjustment Bureau, but totally forgot to mention it on here. Good on you! That was such a welcome surprise for me when Jon popped up in the movie, I loved it.

• Thanks RobM. The movie hasn’t come out in Aus yet, but I will definately add it to the next Six Degrees post.

• As well as Jon looking the same and the show being in HD, the set is also the same. I’m pretty sure the Daily Show set changed from 2007 to 2010. It used to have a gray table or something. Lol. Still, it was pretty cool when he popped up.

Okay, I did a little digging and found an interview with Matt Damon where he explains how they got Jon to do the cameo. It happened the way that I had kinda figured, with it being filmed while Damon was actually on the show to promote a movie. And Jon improvised all of it. If you skip to the end, they start talking about it with about 57 seconds left in the clip.

I’m very excited for the new season of “John Oliver’s New York Stand-Up Show”! I hadn’t heard anything new about it, so I wasn’t sure when it was coming back.

And thank you so much for the link to Allison Silverman’s clip on This American Life. That was absolutely fantastic. I’m grateful for any and every inclusion of Allison Silverman in a Six Degrees post; I’ve really come to look up to and admire her.

8. Mr. Arkadin says:

Hey! I can shout out (Hey!) to people again! Thank you DB!

Wow, I didn’t even notice that it was fixed. Whoo-hoo! Thanks DB!

Allison Silverman did an amazing job on that story–you see all the humor, heart, and unexpected twists that characterize TCR at its best.

I have actually seen “This Is Your Life”–I can’t remember when it reran, but I think a local PBS station had some kind of retrospective several years ago. The one that touched me most was an episode featuring the brilliant silent film comedian Buster Keaton. By that time, he was virtually forgotten (his star has since risen again, for various reasons), and not in strong financial shape. It was pretty heartbreaking.