EPISODE NUMBER: 7033 (March 7, 2011)
GUESTS: Joshua Foer
SEGMENTS: Stephen wants an iPad 2, On Notice – Mike Huckabee, America’s Next GOP Model
VIDEOS: Monday, March 7, 2011
Hi kids, I’m pinch hitting for DB on this episode guide while she gets caught up on other blog-related things, and what a strong show to start the week! “Stephen” and his desperate neediness for all gadgety things from Apple makes me snicker every time. It was no surprise to me that he’d start whining for an iPad 2 as soon as they were announced, and I’ll bet he has one the day they come out.
I don’t always agree with Mike Huckabee’s politics, but I do like the guy because he seems sincere and even pretty honest, for a politician, and he always has such interesting conversations with Stephen. But to misspeak so badly about President Obama’s background isn’t just a bad move, it even seems uncharacteristic of Huckabee to do it. I don’t watch his Fox show, so I don’t know if this is something he’s done on there. And calling out Natalie Portman was just a bad idea. Don’t pick on pregnant ladies, ever. Putting Huckabee “On Notice” for not misspeaking while he was on the Report is genius, and so typical of “Stephen.”
I loved the way Stephen took Newt Gingrich’s not-quite-declaration of candidacy for president and made it even less decisive than it already was. It drives me crazy to watch these potential candidates jump through hoops to avoid committing themselves too soon. Come on, already. We promise to be surprised when you announce that you’re running!
The interview with Joshua Foer was fascinating. Who knew there was even such a thing as the U.S. Memory Championships? I’m both impressed and baffled that someone could do something like memorize a deck of cards in thirty seconds. I have a great memory for useless pieces of trivia, but trying to channel that into a useful skill eludes me.
What did you all think of the show? And what do you think of the new portrait? Test your memory, and talk about your favorite bits in the comments!
- Come on, Apple, give me one through the TV. I know you have the technology.
- That means it can not run flash nine times faster!
- I’m no fan of single mothers either, but it’s Natalie Portman you’re talking about! That kid she’s pregnant with is Luke Skywalker!
- Obama didn’t grow up in Kenya. He was born in Kenya, before moving to Islamistan, where he then traveled back in time to plant his birth announcement in a Hawaiian newspaper.
- I know my worldview was permanently set at age seven. That’s why I believe the greatest threat facing this nation is my mother vacuuming up our Lincoln Logs.
- What a steaming pile of reasonable!
- There you are, and you’re not coming off notice until you come on my show and recklessly misspeak. And I want it to be something good. Like Barack Obama is the forgotten Pointer Sister, or Michele Obama is a toothless carney who sells meth behind the zipper.
- Newt’s exploring in 2011 doesn’t make him a candidate any more than your exploring in freshman year made you gay.
- After Explore Phase, Newt has to empanel a committee of political guesstimators for a Think-About-It-Tank, they stick their fingers in the wind and report the results to a Consideration Council, who convenes a Pondering Panel, who then makes a presentation to the Eeny-Meeny-Miney-Moe Task Force, then Newt will meet with his most trusted advisors, who will spend weeks designing and minting a special coin for Newt to flip.
- Newt’s bold indecisiveness reminds me of the way Reagan used to hedge. Who can forget his famous words at the Brandenberg Gate? “Mr. Gorbachev, convene a study committee to test what other people would think of various options, get a feel for the vibe out there, and then if there’s support in the polling, tear down part of this wall and see how it flies.”