The Colbert Report wins Writers Guild of America award!

Congratulations to The Colbert Report writers on winning a Writers Guild of America award last night for Best Comedy/Variety Series! The TCR writers previously won this award in 2008; this year, they were up against Penn & Teller, Saturday Night Live, and The Daily Show. Well done, Team Colbert!

COMEDY / VARIETY – (INCLUDING TALK) SERIES

The Colbert Report, Writers: Barry Julien, Dan Guterman, Eric Drysdale, Frank Lesser, Glenn Eichler, Jay Katsir, Max Werner, Meredith Scardino, Michael Brumm, Opus Moreschi, Peter Gwinn, Rich Dahm, Rob Dubbin, Scott Sherman, Stephen Colbert, Tom Purcell, Peter Grosz, Paul Dinello; Comedy Central

For more details on all the winners, check out The Envelope’s Awards Tracker column for a full write-up.

Comments

Look who’s honoring him now! PGA, WGA…and on till he finally vanquishes all at the Emmys!

Difference makers: Thumb up +13

2. Congrats to Stephen and the gang on a well deserved win!!

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

3. Well done, chaps. Now let the might of the Nation rise up and together make one big collective grabby hand….an Emmy next for Stephen, please!

Difference makers: Thumb up +6

Woohoo! Great news for the Report writers! :D

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

5. Well done TCR!! You truely deserve it!!

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

6. pkyoubuggin says:

Yeah e’rbody! Congrats to all y’all.

7. Gratefull says:

Liked their acceptance speech. It is cool that he spoke of their affection for each other as well as the hard work AND how glowingly he spoke about Stephen – calling out what a great writer he is. Jon says he is a fantastic producer too.

Good for all of them!! Hard work, MASSIVE joy machine and changing the world – not bad, not bad at all!

Difference makers: Thumb up +7

• Karenatasha says:

Hey, Gratefull, where has Jon said that? I don’t recall reading that–although it sounds like something Jon would say.

I know that I’ve heard or read Jon say what a great producer and writer Stephen is before (I feel like it was from a video interview, but I could just be imagining that), but I cannot for the life of me think back to where. I even did some digging, and still nothing. So yeah, if anyone can come up with it, my brain will be eternally grateful!

• Gratefull says:

It might have been in the 92nd Street Y interview with Terry Gross. I have listed to a bunch of interviews with both Stephen and Jon so they are blurring together. I’ll see if I can find the correct cite … for some reason something like, “As good a writer as Stephen is, he is an amazing producer as well …” or words/ sentiment like that.

WHOO HOO! One giant round of applause for the writers on the much-deserved win!

9. YAY! Another to add to the endless stream of awards there, congratulations, guys! You’ve certainly earned it.

10. A standing ovation is required! Congrats TCR!

11. Wild applause!!!
    And how nice to hear, during their acceptance speech, that the writers consider Stephen such a fine writer, too!
    How I wish someone would film a day in the life of the writers (including Stephen) preparing for the show, meeting, writing, re-writing, re-writing again… Any documentarians out there listening?
    I hope Stephen is getting his Emmy acceptance speech ready! Can’t wait for the eye candy from that moment!
    Hmmm. Straight tie, or bow tie?

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

12. Galadriel says:

*Clap! Clap Clap* WHOOOO! Well earned, TCR Team!

Congratulations to our favorite writers!

13. Best-written show on television!