EPISODE NUMBER: 6145 (November 11, 2010)
GUESTS: Quincy Jones
SEGMENTS: Stephen absorbs Gene Shalit’s Opinions, Colbert Platinum, Stephen Trademarks Dated Catchprases
VIDEOS: Thursday, November 11, 2010
What an amazingly fun episode! I sincerely enjoyed every aspect of this show. The Gene Shallit Highlander bit was gloriously punny. Stephen takes great pride in his puns, and to watch Stephen take them to Shalit-level proportions was wickedly delicious. The mustached Shalited Stephen reminded me a lot of WPTS Stephen.
Did anyone catch the “Iconda believe” pun? That’s the only one I can’t seem to figure out. Thanks to Zoner friedthing for explaining the Kandahar-dly pun to this geography-ignorant American. I also loved the removal-of-the-mustache character break. Very cute!
Colbert Platinum was also a delight. Sometimes it’s the simplicty of Stephen’s logic that makes it so perfect: “A speedboat is the perfect gift for Christmas because it’s a speedboat.”
I simply could not get enough of the Quincy Jones interview. The more he talked, the more fascinating his stories got. And knowing what a Cosby aficionado Colbert is, it was just wonderful watching the facade melt away and the delight spread across his face as they talked about Cosby crashing the theme song session with a bassoon. A bassoon? Really? Now *that* is a story! I could have listened to him tell stories for hours. I’m so glad they let the interview go a little long.
What did all of you think of the episode tonight?
- A lesser man would be humbled by what you just did.
- Now that he’s on Fox, you can expect Lou to grow out those blonde locks. Take it down, Jimmy, I’m a married man!
- Gene’s indefinable essence will be missed by everyone but me. GENE SHALIT! FORMER TODAY SHOW FILM CRITIC! YOUR AUDIENCE AND YOUR OPINIONS BE MINE! OOOOH! I FEEL … I FEEL THE POWER OF PUNS!
- Hopefully this episode is not a Colbert Re-Bore that makes you Colbert Re-Snore. Okay, now, let’s get to the news before it’s the olds. I Kandahar-dly believe how Islama-bad things are looking in Af-panic-stan. It’s gone from babaga-nasty to just plain fal-awful.
- There’s a ferret on my face! There’s a ferret on my face! Get it off!
- This is clearly a power I will have to use sparingly. I better find somewhere safe to stash this ‘stache.
- I think I have shredded New York Times lung.
- If you have hamsters who need somewhere to nest this winter …
- Now this may shock you but I kind of agree with Voldemort’s stunt double.
- Replacing your body parts with gemstones is cool. That’s why I had my kidneys replaced with sapphires. Because you know what’s even cooler than diamonds in your mouth? Dialysis.
- They’re nature’s chimney sweep.
- A speedboat is the perfect gift for Christmas because it’s a speedboat.
- I assume they’re still finishing the paperwork to trademark other Nintendo-centric phrases like “Don’t front like Duck Hunt”, “I’m gonna bring the painia like Castlevania”, and “Nah, I don’t feel like playing Kirby’s Adventure.”
- I soon should be the proud owner of the trademark for “All that and a bag of chips.” You hear me Frito Lay? You want this sweet tagline, you better come through me now!
- I’m just saying I’m batting 500. I’m not saying I’m better than you, I’m just saying the Academy thinks I’m better than you.
- As a producer, were you saying to Cosby ‘you need more cowbell?’