Episode 6142 (11/8/2010) – Reza Aslan

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6142 (November 8, 2010)
GUESTS: Reza Aslan
SEGMENTS:One Hour in the Future, The Word – Nothingness, President Obama’s Expensive Trip to India
VIDEOS: Monday, November 8, 2010

You know a show is going to be good when it starts with a grabby hands “Nobel Prize in time travel, please!” Poor Jay the Intern – he looks like he never held a gun in his life. I did half expect a stray bullet to hit Tom in the front row in the thigh, though. I’m glad they’ve stopped shooting that poor man.

I am so boggled at Rand Paul’s “There are no rich people or poor people.” Seriously?! He’s obviously never subsisted on ramen for a week because of an unexpected tire blowout and subsequent Discount Tire bill. I love how it’s always the rich people who say there are no poor. You never hear the recent college graduate with $40K in debt in a $25K/year entry level job saying that there are no poor.

I’m blown away at the $200 million a day figure on the Obama India trip. At least the White House press guy was able to put at least a little perspective on it. At any rate, I know I’ve seen the “random Indian guy” before. Come on, comedy fans, a little help? I very much enjoyed Reza Aslan’s interview. It’s interesting to hear how the discussion about radical Muslims has changed little in the four years since Aslan was last on.

What did all of you think about the show tonight?

Colbert Report - November 8, 2010

• New intro word: Downtrickler
  • Suckers! I didn’t! That means I’m living one hour in the future!
  • So for me, it’s 12:32! I gamed the system! I found the wormhole! Nobel Prize in time travel please!
  • There can only be one of me, because two of me would depreciate my resale value.
  • I finally understand the importance of Daylight Savings Time.
  • A GOP sweep is like Christmas, but with even more Jesus.
  • There’s no rich, no poor, no middle class. [He's Got At Least A Third Right.]
  • Here’s another good one: If a poor family falls on hard times in the woods, and no one’s around to care, did it really happen? [Not If They're Hispanic]
  • Rand Paul lives in a higher plane. [Same One You Couldn't Get On]
  • And while in India, he has tried to make conservative voters more comfortable with him by dancing like a white man.
  • And that’s not all. I’ve heard he’s dining on bald eagles, using the original Declaration of Independence as a wetnap, and renting an airplane hanger to house Babe, his big blue ox.
  • I’m gonna delete my browser history.
  • Oh really? Then how do you explain this top secret Pentagon 3-D model that I was able to obtain? Look at all the President’s ships right there! He’s got them all bunched together. That’s terrible, that’s going to be so easy to figure out. Don’t get me started on his upcoming trip to Candyland.
  • I’m very famous here in America. Trust me, you’re honored.
  • And these are all apologies to the west?
  • Really? I didn’t think anyone could hate anyone more than they hate me.

Comments

Looks like someone got rested up over the weekend – Stephen was so full of energy last night! I loved the daylight savings time bit, that was very silly. And kudos to Jay the Intern for making it through that segment; there was a point toward the end where he looked like he was going to burst out laughing.

I really liked the Reza Aslan interview, but I voted for The Word because it was so brilliant. Every bullet point was hilarious and thought-provoking. I was spent after that first segment because The Word was so great. And someone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe “random Indian guy” is Ajay Naidu, who was in Office Space and is now on “Bored To Death” on HBO (which is a fantastic show, btw). :)

Difference makers: Thumb up +9

• Karenatasha says:

Lockhart, I am with you all the way on this! I was blown away by “The Word,” and by Stephen’s continuing to hit the Republicans hard. I admit I’m prejudiced, because when that segment is in top form, for me nothing’s better. Stephen and staff definitely devise some of the wittiest, most playful, and devastating wordplay today.

The rest of the show was fantastic, too, of course.The “one hour in the future” riff had me screaming with laughter and I love Reza Aslan, who is simply brilliant.

And I second your comment on “Bored to Death,” which is one of my favorite shows.

Yes! So glad someone else loves “Bored to Death”! I could never catch it during its first season, so I started watching it this fall, and I LOVE it. :D

2. Terrific Word! Really amazing.

I find it funny that the MSM is trying to hard to make the words “socialism” and “class warfare” unacceptable in polite company. I say bring ‘em on!

Very silly time travel opener, I like it when he gets goofy like that.

Difference makers: Thumb up +9

3. Christiane says:

I loooved the time travelling bit. I too was wondering if a “stray bullet” would whack poor Tom.

The Word was brilliant. That is all!

Oh and the interview was also wonderful. Anyone else find Reza Aslan adorkably cute? Cause I think I have a crush. :)

Difference makers: Thumb up +9

• Caoilfhiann says:

I thought he was gorgeous! But then, I love a man with big brown eyes (Do they remind me of chocolate? Hmm…something to think about). So with Reza Aslan and Stephen Colbert on the same screen, my cup runneth over.

• Definately a bounty of gorgeousness! :D I think I may just buy that episode on itunes to keep forevah!

4. friedthing says:

Wow, the WORDs are always great, but whoever wrote that one needs to get a raise! Loved it!!

5. Gratefull says:

I totally agree with all of you. The WØRD was AMAZING! and Aslan’s interview just MASSIVE … so playful! … all around a great episode and I sense he was asked in Q&A if he had rested over the weekend as he asked the Nation that too … love the $200 million/ day and the Battleship at the end … all in all a very funny episode from soup to nuts!!

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

6. Loved the time travel with Jay, and the Word was extremely clever and sharp tonight. The “I’m very famous here in America. Trust me, you’re honored” was my favourite line and was a real LOL moment. All in all, a great show!

7. What I LOVED about the WORD was this: Correct me if I’m wrong, but normally, Stephen says something that could be taken seriously as a right-wing argument, and the bullet pokes holes in it. This time, he said something, slyly and subtly poked holes in it HIMSELF, then the bullet came in for the kill.

The whole episode was great. The time travel was gloriously ridiculous, and I love seeing Jay. The interview was great too, I especially liked the this-is-the-difference-between bit.

They really will take ANY excuse to show that turtle, won’t they?

• I loved the W0RD too! I would like to know what line/s in it you’re talking about exactly, I want to it-get… it as clearly as you did. XD

8. I’ve been wondering this for a while now: Which writer is Jay the Intern?