C-SPAN coverage of Stephen Colbert testifying for Congress is streaming NOW

Click through the link to check out the C-Span coverage Stephen testifying (in character!) before the House Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law. There’s no scheduled time for him to speak, but it will be during these hearings. We will post an archive of the applicable video as soon as it is available from C-SPAN.org.

EDIT:

For video, click through to this new post:

Video: Stephen Colbert at “Protecting America’s Harvest”

Comments

1. For a live update, Stephen Colbert was just asked to leave the subcomittee hearing by the committee ranking member.

Watching it right now! He’s not leaving so far!

• Correct. The ranking member asked him to leave; and Colbert stated that he was there at the request of the chairwoman, and if she asked him to leave–he would gladly do so.

• Why did he ask him to leave? That seems kinda unnecessary – he’s obviously there for a reason.

• He stated that, in his opinion, Colbert’s main reason for being there was to bring in the cameras and draw attention to the matter. Now that Colbert was there, he stated that perhaps Colbert should leave so that the serious business could be done.

• Well, how dare Stephen agree to come and bring some attention to a very important issue in America that we should be talking more about. And it’s not as if Stephen could actually provide some insight – it’s not like he spent ten hours picking crops or anything. ;-)

3. I guess I missed him then?

4. ♥ him! This is too good!

Oh, that was a great testimony!
    I wonder how different his submitted statement was from what he said, as Rep. Conyers just said…

I have to get to class, unfortunately. Hope you guys post about other questions Stephen took from the panel! :)

7. marleygirl84 says:

I only saw the last part of his testimony, and what I saw was pretty good. I’m watching the question parts now and my gosh, he’s so unshakable!! Some guy was going after him pretty good and he always finds the best way to answer. I thought it was especially funny how the guy asked him if it was harder to work in the fields than do his comedy show and Stephen answered that it was definitely harder than punditry. He’ll never admit to the fact that he’s a comedian when he is in character lol.

8. i just woke up from a 3 hr nap and i open my laptop and see on huffpo- “COLBERT TAKES ON CONGRESS” and i literally flipped out! hopefully theyll have the video in full later on bc im not sure if i missed something

• C-SPAN will archive the footage later and they should offer it up online, so you should still be able to see it. I’ve only been able to catch bits and pieces of it, so I’m looking forward to watching it later. :)

9. Here’s something that just Cracked. Me. Up. – Rep. Steve King (who I believe would be the one who asked him to leave) from Iowa just asked him if he really was packing corn on the farm or not, and Stephen answered that yes, he in fact was really working and not faking it. And then he said, “I packed corn. I was a corn packer. Which, I know is a derrogatory term because ‘corn packer’ means ‘gay Iowan.’ HAHA! As marleygirl84, Stephen really is unshakeable, the man’s a genius.

• Ms Interpreted says:

No, Rep. Conyers is the one who asked him to leave. See the follow up post to the testimony; there are links to the full video.

• Thanks, MsI – I was just able to read your post recapping the event. :)

Sometimes I genuinely wish my state was an actual person so that I could properly express my feelings and punch it in the face. Ohhh Rep. Conyers, you are quite the D-bag.

10. That was a really good watch. I just loved how he answered that last question in a serious way. A tip of my hat to him ;)

11. Stephen, you got me up after four hours of sleep to sit and watch a two-hour discussion about migrant farm workers on C-Span. This is not easy to do. Well done, sir.

12. Hah, I caught the live feed just as Stephen is beginning his testimony, so cool that I checked NFZ, went to C-Span and Colbert just went on, lol

BUT, I SO want to see the footage of Colbert being asked to leave and him not doing it. THAT was Colbert being in character!

• No, that was very much not in character. His response was a respectful (if understandably taken aback) “I’m here at the invitation of the Chairwoman, and if she would like me to remove myself from the hearing room, I’m happy to do so. I’m only here at her invitation.”

13. So very touched by Stephen’s out of character speech about being interested in people who don’t have any power, and illegal immigrants being the “least of our brothers” – asked to come at the same time as they are pushed to leave. <3 Stephen.

So Stephen was there “just for the cameras?” As if he doesn’t have enough cameras on him or attention paid whenever he wants?

Sure, he knows that the cameras will be on him, and why. That’s the reason he’s doing it: because he CAN make sure attention is paid to a very important issue that too many people prefer to ignore.

Well done, Mr. Colbert!

• That was indeed a terrifying swarm of cameras in his face at the very beginning of the hearing. I don’t know of many people who would willingly subject themselves to that unless some higher good could come out of it. I say, Thanks again, Stephen!

• I’d subject myself to the cameras any day; the real stomach-turner is disdainful Congressmen trying to score political points by insulting an invited witness.

So thanks to Stephen for taking up the invitation, and bringing some much needed attention to the state of migrant workers. Good on you!