Episode 6103 (8/16/2010) – John Fetterman

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6103 (August 16, 2010)
GUESTS: John Fetterman
SEGMENTS: Growing Intelligence Community – Richard Clarke, Invasion of the Country Snatchers
VIDEOS: Monday, August 16, 2010

Between the Clapper, the Little Ceasars mention, and the Jiffy Pop reference, I felt like the show was written circa 1986. And I loved it. Yay for obscure pop advertising references! Also, I probably should have eaten breakfast before I did the guide, because when God showed up on a grilled cheese sandwich, all I could think of was “Mmmm … grilled cheese sandwich!” And Stephen making the little bomb motions and noise? Adorkable. He was struggling so hard to make it though the bit without a character break, but we did get a few of those gorgeous smiles of his. Any appearance by Barry the Barista (played by Barry Julien) is always a good thing in my book, although I do miss Frank, the barista of the Starbucks on the other side of his desk. Oh, and terrorism is bad, m’kay? Sometimes I get so swept up by the adorkability quotient of the episode that I forget that Stephen makes an actual serious and valid point. Which in this case was the fact that there is way, way too much of a clusterfark going on in the US security branches.

Los Homosexuals! That’s just silly. Adored the “meat in a big gay sandwich” line. I also found the interview with John Fetterman to be very inspiring. He’s really going out there and making a difference to one, small town. It makes me feel like a bit of an underachiever. But it’s amazing how much work he’s managed to get done in such a small time.

What did all of you think of tonight’s episode?

Stephen Colbert talks with Barry the Barista

• You know what, I’ve been wrong, and I owe the president an apology. You’re not a secret Muslim.
  • And by God we mean this guy [Jesus], not this guy [Photo Not Available].
  • The point, is folks, yes, technically, technically muslims have constitutional rights, but since 9/11, we gave up a ton of our constitutional rights, search and seizure, trial by jury, habeas corpus. I don’t even know what that last one means. I think it’s the Little Caesar’s mascot. Pan, Pan.
  • That means god’s a spy. That’s why he always undercover as a burning bush or a grilled cheese sandwich.
  • You see, if our enemies infiltrate our spy networks, they, like us, will have no f**king idea what is going on.
  • I am calling on congress to make our intelligence system even larger with a new agency to monitor our existing agencies. The national central homeland surveillance bureau of intelligence agencies agency. The NCHSBIAA or “Enchsbia-a”, whose great seal features an eagle looking up its own ass.
  • 10,000 locations – that’s almost as many as Starbucks.
  • This land has not seen this big a foreign invasion since the Mayflower.
  • If we ban gay marriage, but it’s legal in Mexico, they’ll realize that what they want is south of the border, and in Mexico.
  • Note to viewers, do not Google the term Gay Drain.
  • Gay marriage is also legal in Canada. Which makes America the straight meat in a big gay sandwich. Which I believe technically is called a fluffer nutter.
  • John Fetterman: Fortunately we’ve gone 27 months now without losing anybody.
    Stephen: I can’t say that for this studio.

Comments

All in all, that was a really solid episode. I had a feeling that I would enjoy both of the interviews, and they did not disappoint. I was especially impressed by John Fetterman. That guy just seethes inspiration; I wish him and Braddock the best of luck.

I loved that Stephen name-dropped Little Caesar’s, and his “I’m an old man” line was adorable. But my favorite segment was Invasion of the Country Snatchers. I loved the look on Stephen’s face as he wished for Gay Mexicans, and the “fluffer nutter” line had me laughing SO hard! And it’s always nice to see Barista Barry! :)

Correction: Stephen’s face as he wished for Gay Muslims. :P

• Mr. Arkadin says:

HaHa!
        I live in California & if the “The Gay” ever get “The Muslims” AND “The Mexicans” …. OMG! Were DOOMED! ;)

2. Gratefull says:

Great to see Barry again … wonder if they will bring back Tad as he is on staff again. Sure wish they would. Maybe he can apprentice with Barry as a Barista, LOL.

3. While I hate Starbucks and coffee based drinks in general, I so want one of those Spy cups!!

I Lol’d so hard at seal of the eagle with its head up its own arse!!

You know it’s going to be a good ep when Barry or anyone for that matter start popping up from under Stephen’s desk.

• Mr. Arkadin says:

The eagle with it’s head up it’s own a$$ was sublime! And a perfect metaphor for America’s screwed up “national security” system.
      Way to go writers!

• Ms Interpreted says:

Agreed, mad props to the graphics people for that eagle with its head up its bum. Beautiful!

I really liked ever so many bits from last night’s show: Fetterman is always interesting, and the whole exchange with Mr. Barry Julien was excellently played.

I don’t get time to blog or comment much any more (darn you, day job!!), but the show sure has been strong lately. Yay!

• Mr. Arkadin says:

“I don’t get time to blog or comment much any more (darn you, day job!!)”
        And your really missed. :)

4. It’s always nice to have the show back on a Monday – and then Barry too! I agree with Gratefull, I would love to see Tad back.

Is there anything better than this?

5. I had a hard time deciding between Growing Intelligence and Invasion segments, but finally had to give it to the Intelligence because I love all things under Stephen’s desk and the concept of God as a deep operative is genius.

6. Mr. Arkadin says:

I loved the “Photo not available” graphic. It reminded my of the time of the Danish cartoonist scandal when Stephen said words to the effect of “I could show you this cartoon of Mohammad, but I don’t want to die.” :D
    And the “apology” to the President was great!

Really? Remembering Jiffy Pop means your old?
    I’ve never hear of it! ;)

• Mr. Arkadin says:

Argh! I meant: I’ve never HEARD of it! :(
      That’s what I get for teasing Lockhart43 about Muslims/Mexicans!

HA! Well, at least we both caught our mistakes in time to correct ourselves, lol. :P

7. I loved the whole show but for some reason that little Jiffy Pop/Pop Secret mix up was my favorite part, with Stephen gesturing the shape of a Jiffy Pop container. It was the weirdest thing, you would put it over the range and it would blow up into a big aluminum foil ball with popcorn inside

“I’m an old man” Hee

I loved the Fetterman follow-up as well. He really is an inspiring person, the way he is trying to bring back his town. Good for Stephen giving them the publicity.

8. WristStrongTanline says:

My mind while watching this episode:

“Wow, Barry has a really big tattoo on his arm. I can’t believe they didn’t cover that up, or have him facing the other way. It’s really distracting. What is it? …..oh……it’s the Comedy Central logo on the screen.”

Whoops =P

• hahaha thats funny :D
      btw we’ve all mentioned how we love ur screen name (i’ve been working on mine myself this summer ;)
      but now the picture!! sighhhhhh :D lol

• WristStrongTanline says:

Awwww thank you so much! I love your pic too…You can tell he’s like trying to be himself and smile, but in the back of his head he’s like “I’m in so much trouble…” =P

• i know! one of those interviews that i could watch over and over again bc i love seeing how much he got out of character :D i especially loved reading evie’s reaction