Episode 6090 (7/7/2010) – Steve Carell

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6090 (July 7, 2010)
GUESTS: ZOMG STEVE CARELL!!!!
SEGMENTS: The Economist Photoshops Obama’s Picture, Thought for Food, Formula 401: Beauty From My Beast
VIDEOS: Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Last night, I went over to my buddy’s house who lives in the same building as me and said, “Okay, I simply have to watch the ‘Colbert Report’ tonight, can I come over and watch the show on your TV?” I wasn’t going to miss this show for anything! I thought before the show, I’m building this up too much, there’s no way this show can be as good as it I hoped it could be. Boy was I wrong. This show was everything I hoped it would be and more.

Did anyone else catch the misspelled joke in the Carell Carral? So cute! I was literally clapping and screaming “Yes!” in my friend’s loft when the show started and Steve was hosting. I had no idea that Stephen had such mad Photoshop skillz, yo. The Thought for Food segment was also hysterical. “That’s right, Nation – there is more than one competitive eating league.” Ha! Serious props to the graphics department for the Grilled Cheese Mobius Melt. “It’s like your lunch and two other people’s lunches are having a three-way in your mouth.” My arteries started aching just watching the segment. Any time a new version of Formula 401 is introduced, I’m going to be laughing, but nothing prepared me for Formula 401: Beauty From My Beast. Is it wrong for me to want a Stephen Colbert’s 2010 Sexy Spermatazoa Calendar?

And then Steve Carell came on the show and busted out with the Even Stepvhen. My favorite ice cream is Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream, and I really enjoy it. But that ice cream with Hershey’s Syrup and whipped cream? A delicious, delicious treat. That’s how I felt with Steve Carell’s appearance. Stephen Colbert is fantastic, but Stephen with Steve Carell was a tasty, creamy chocolatey treat. As soon as Steve said, “I sorta do” and Stephen said “I sorta don’t”, I thought to myself, here it comes. The buildup to the weepy breakdown was amazingly hysterical. “Steve, I’m thrilled by your success. Hell, I’m amazed by it.” “Doing the Report is like being in the Witness Relocation Program.” “What’s wrong, doesn’t Jon Stewart’s teat come with an extension cord?” But when the open weeping started, my heart just exploded. “I love you … I miss you.” “You smell great.” “I know”. “At least we’re not working for Stewart.” “That ass**** really held us back while he was launching our careers.” And then Jon showed up. ZOMG! The cherry on top!

Rarely does a show literally wear me out due to the happiness and excitement that it brings me. This show did just that. Well, after I came down from the adrenalin high that made me stupid. My Twitter followers know what I’m talking about. Normally, I do lots of quotes about the show and do a few screencaps, but truth be told, I’m still suffering from a bit of a fandom hangover this morning. So please enjoy these videos and relive the magic!

Comments

1. Gratefull says:

LMAO … This has to be one of the EPIC epis to go down in TCR history … and oh so addicting … one shot of them both, and we need MOOORRRRE!!!!!

Now, “How’s Nan?” “great” “how’s Loraine?” … huh??? LOL

Thank you, thank you, thank you all and thank you DB for posting last night and so quickly this morning!!!

And honestly, I am so glad Mr. Colbert didn’t go to Hollywood — he is needed far more in this … the Colbert Report!

2. I couldn’t wait to get home from work tonight and connect my laptop to the Internet and start watching. I was so happy that the videos were already up so I was able to watch right away.

I’ve been clapping like mad ever since the show started, the moment I saw Steve as host and yell “Tonight!” That was so much fun, and he makes the sounds of guns firing so adorable!!!!!

I also went over to Gawker and downloaded their videos so I can keep them forever! Love that all three of them were there. Jon, Steve and Stephen. It reminded me of when they were all together at the Emmys just being so joyful and happy and smiley. So happy that all this happened! I think I’m going to keep bursting joyfully all over myself for the rest of the week.

Awesome, incredible, epic, adorable, happy, joyful, FUN!!! Wash, rinse, repeat.

3. leorabk says:

such an amazing episode!! i still have’nt gotten over its amazingness!!

4. Ms Interpreted says:

A glorious, riotous, laugh-out-loud-from-top-to-bottom show. That was magnificent television.

On any other night, I’d have gushed first and foremost over such gems as the fractal sandwiches (Möbius Melt? Whatever the Mandelbrot set bacon thing-y was?), and there’s no denying that they were terrific. But all pales in comparison to the sheer joy of Steve and Stephen, together again.

I’m reduced to giddy outbursts of “Happy happy joy joy!” and I’ve had perma-grin all night long. If the show wants to know what to submit for an Emmy next year, well …

:D
    :D
    :D

5. Michele says:

That was awesome! I loved it when Steve started off the show and I knew it was going to be great at that point. And getting an EvenStepvhen was the cherry on top. *sigh*

I so want one of those calendars! That was hilarious!

6. Did any of the USAsians Zoners get *any* sleep last night? Or were you all dreaming wonderful SC-squared dreams involving ice-cream and hoofed hands??? :D

So much to love in this ep. Photoshop skillz, Mandelbrot BLT sets and Mobius Melts. The perfect way to whet our appetites for the joygasm to come!

Words almost entirely fail me. Instead I can only squeal, point and bounce at the shiny happy joy fun times of Stephen, Steve and Jon. <3

7. Normally, I don’t do this, but … SQUEEEEEEEE!
    DB, are you going to post (please, pretty please) a screencap of Formula 401: Beauty from My Beast?

@ Tish: “joygasm” – Perfect! :D :D :D

I’ve never had a favorite episode – I have many favorite segments, but never a favorite episode. Last night’s episode has easily become my favorite! Everything about it, from start to finish, was EPIC.

When the show opened and I first saw Steve Carell, I just squealed with joy! And I love how Stephen brought back the hoof for a hand, it’s never not funny. So glad they had another Food For Thought, too – it’s now one of my favorite segments.

Ohhhh the Steve Carell interview…*sigh* Best. Interview. Ever. I was so hoping they would do an Even Stevphen and they did not disappoint! :D The fake anger and hilarious quips and then the fake crying and bonding over their fake hatred for Jon, it was all so massive. And I just knew that after they mentioned what an ass**** Jon was that Jon would pop up somewhere. I can’t wait to watch it again when I get home! Also? Beauty From My Beast might be one of the funniest things I’ve ever heard. :P

9. That was such a fanastic episode. I was hoping they were going to do something with Steve than just a interview at the end, and they sure did not dissapoint. I was so happy when I seen him do the opening with Carell’s Coral it was hilarious. And the icing on the cake was EvenStephven at the end of show. It was just pure joy watching the two of them together again last night.

10. This episode will live in my computer forever. There’s no way I’m gonna delete this!

• I know what you mean. I just downloaded it from iTunes, so I could watch it … over and over and ….

11. I dvr-d this show. Twice. (The first time my machine cut off the end)

It was fabulous from beginning to end. Easily my favorite of the year. I loved every segment, from the “ouch” stat about our thinnest state being fatter than our fattest state in 1991, to the “ugly” baby being photoshop-reversed into a “beautiful” baby, to Stephen photoshopping clean water into the gulf and
    of course Steve! first pretending to take over the show, and then reappearing in the just amazing even Stephven segment. And Jon’s appearance was so great on the screen. It could not have been better.

Emmy worthy indeed.

12. Verbal Typo says:

Uhhhh may I just say..
    HOLY LORD THAT WAS AMAZING!!
    Right from the get-go with the “Carell Carall, and the thought for food, and of course that interview!!!
    I haven’t had a chance to watch The Colbert Report with as much regularity as I have in the past (school, a recent trip to europe, health issues, etc) but I knew I couldn’t miss this one. From the beginning of the episode I kept telling my mom “they’ve GOT to do an Even Stephven!!” and I practically died when they did. Hopefully I can start watching the show regularly, and visiting the blog more often (I only keep up with the e-mails, lest I get spoilers!). I miss you guys a lot!

13. Mr. Arkadin says:

This was great! I can’t add anything to what’s been said about the Stephen/Steve meeting. It was fantastic! The only way it could have been better was if they had sung a song. Maybe next time? *fingers crossed*
    Also glad to hear Stephen’s gotten back with Lorraine. That Evelyn McGee was really keeping him down! ;)
    I know this was an epic Stephen/Steve show, but can I give a small shout out to “the beautiful people” segment? I love when Stephen gets a topic that’s funny & I get the sense he’s expressing his real moral outrage. And this website about meeting & mating with only “beautiful people” seemed to be right in his wheelhouse! I particularly like the flipping of the “ugly” baby & the “beautiful” baby photo. Oh, and the owner of the site is a douche bag!

• I was wondering about that… who’s Lorraine? Is she like Amy’s Ricky? I feel like I’m a bad fan for not knowing LOL

Absolutely wonderful and amazing and so many other adjectives that I don’t want to put them all here and look like an idiot! Oh…that episode was a work of art! DB, I love your analogy with the ice cream and you’re absolutely right. :D :D :D

15. Just pure love. I have nothing else to say but…
    COME BACK MORE OFTEN, STEVE!!!!

16. EvilDevil says:

EPIC

17. jbirdNZ says:

So much sheer delight and happiness given to so many fans -thank you Stephen, Steve and the writers -and Jon for the cameo! I know now if ever I’m feeling blue, I can watch this priceless episode -smiles, grins, squeeing and laughter guaranteed!

Wish this had been my reCaptcha when SC was doing his Nasa segments: Astronauts noblest

Downloaded to keep forever! I have it on my iPod, and on days when work is hell, I will simply shut my door at lunchtime, put on my headhones, and laugh, laugh, laugh until nothing more can affect me. Pure joy. It’s so nice when you’re hoping for a lot and get even more than you’d hoped for.

19. It’s too massive. Fangirl overload. Need a cigarette….ahhhh!
    Oh my God, Steve doing the fake opening as a cowboy was so adorkably silly. I wasn’t sure that they would do an Even Stevphen, but really what else could they do? Then when Jon showed up and they won’t let him out of the studio. OMG, need another cig. ahhhhhh!
    I have never downloaded an episode but I may just be willing to pay to get this one. THE BEST!!!!!

20. TruthPower says:

I echo all that you have said above. I like the ice cream analogy too DB..

I would love to see Carell Caral

Nothing else to say except WOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I must have watched that 5 times now.

Please come back Steve.