Weekend Brunch – Exploding Christmas edition

Weekend BrunchWelcome to our (mostly) weekly discussion group to talk about Stephen, our lives, our friendships with each other, and pretty much anything you’d like to talk about with other readers of No Fact Zone, what we here affectionately call “the Zoners”.

Good morning, Zoners! I hope all of you have fun and exciting plans for the July 4th weekend. The hubby and I will be spending some quiet vacation time together celebrating our 8 year wedding anniversary, and because of that, posting will be very light for the weekend.

However, I would never leave you kiddos with nothing to do. So here’s a discussion topic for the weekend:

Have you ever bought a book from a guest from the ‘Colbert Report’? Have you done it multiple times? What did you think of them?

I’ve bought quite a few books myself, including the book by Nicholas Carr that was featured this week. I look forward to some fun poolside reading with that this weekend. I look forward to hearing what kind of things catch your attention and what you’ve thought of the books. My favorite that was featured on the show that I’ve read is “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks”. MsInterpreted tipped me off to that book, and I was absolutely riveted by the story.

And to leave you with shiny happy thoughts for the fourth, here’s some classic patriotic eye candy.

Comments

1. Happy Anniversary, DB!

While I haven’t bought any of the books, I’ve borrowed them from the library – but my brain is on vacation (its usual state, alas), & I can’t remember which ones.

2. jentaps says:

I’m sure I’ve bought a few. The only ones I can come up with are all the Malcolm Gladwell books: Blink, The Tipping Point, and Outliers.

It’s hard to keep straight in my head authors who I saw on TDS vs. TCR. I have some from TDS, too. I’ll have to check my bookcase.

3. I bought that Frank Rich book because he told me to, he said to use it as a paperweight.

I already agreed with everything the guy said, so I never even cracked it open and ended up donating it to charity.

I’ve bought lots of other author books from TCR, but that one was the most egregious.

Man I am so glad the Colbert Nation messageboard is back online! Being clean was getting to be a strain.

4. marleygirl84 says:

Happy anniversary DB!!! And happy 4th to all!

I bought Raj Patel’s book but other than that, a lot of times I’ll just go to the bookstore and read chapters here and there from a lot of the other authors. I’ve read most of The Guinea Pig Diaries that way. Like Nicholas Carr was talking about, I have a hard time focusing on one topic at a time, or even one book at a time, oftentimes skipping around from one to the other and never finishing anything. I guess I’m shallow before my time just like Stephen.

5. Ms Interpreted says:

Heh — I buy guest books ALL THE TIME. TDS and TCR are totally to blame for a very large chunk of my non-fiction book budget.

Off the top of my head, the ones I’ve bought after hearing about them on The Colbert Report are: Death by Black Hole, The Candy Bombers, The Lucifer Effect, Cultural Amnesia, The Invention of Air, The Lost City of Z, The Omnivore’s Dilemma, Team of Rivals, The Greatest Story Ever Sold, and Jesus, Interrupted. I’ve actually also read a number of books by his other guests, although in most cases I’d either read them before Stephen had them as guests or I’d at least already purchased them (The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, The Other Wes Moore, The Unwanted Sound of Everything We Want, A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Accidental Guerilla, etc.). As a general rule, they’re all extremely interesting reads, although obviously some are better (or more compelling) than others.

As y’all know, I’m really a dorkish sort of bookworm. There have been some really fantastic books featured on The Daily Show, too. The Dangerous World of Butterflies, The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind, Fiasco, The Gamble, How to Break a Terrorist, The Teapot Dome Scandal, Citizens of London, Escaping North Korea, Imperial Life in the Emerald City, War, and A Long Way Gone, for instance, were all informative, amusing, sad, infuriating and/or inspiring in turns.

It’s a source of nearly unending joy to me that Stephen and Jon continue to bring such interesting books to my attention.

(P.S. Glad you liked that Rebecca Skloot book, DB! It really was thought-provoking and eye-opening, wasn’t it?)

6. Happy Anniversary to both you and Mr. DB!

And thanks for my posting my favorite “patriotic” Stephen pic – the one of him and Lady-L in bed cracks me up on so many levels!

You know, I think the only book I’ve ever bought by a TCR interviewee was “Eating Animals” by Jonathan Safran Foer. I know for certain that I would have a house full of books from TCR and TDS if I lived in the US – many end up on my wish list, but the expense and hassle of getting them here in Europe is just enough to discourage actually getting them into the house.

Happy Anniversary, DB! Hope you enjoy the happy occasion!
    And a Happy Fourth of July to all you Zoners!

I actually haven’t bought any of the books featured on The Daily Show or The Colbert Report. There have been books that have interested me, and I took a few of them out of the library. I’d like to buy “House of Cards,” which was about the economic blow-up two years ago, and was featured on TDS. But I haven’t gotten around to it!

I do, however, own all books that have anything to do with Stephen. :P

8. Happy Anniversary DB!! I want to wish everyone here at the NFZ a Happy 4th of July.

I haven’t bought any books featured on TCR or TDS either. I’m just not that big of a reader. But like MaryLovesColbert, I also own books that are about Stephen and I have 2 about TDS.

Happy anniversary, DB! And Happy Exploding Christmas to all the Zoners! :D

The only book that I have from an author that has been on the show is from AJ Jacobs. I bought The Know-It-All last year and loved it. Unfortunately, a large number of books by authors on TDS and TCR are currently on my long list of books to read.

I have however, bought a few books by some people who work on TDS and TCR. I’ve got What To Expect When You’re Expected by David Javerbaum, A Practical Guide to Racism by CH Dalton (pseudonym for Sam Means, a writer on The Daily Show), The Areas of My Expertise by John Hodgman, and I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil And I Want to Be Your Class President by Josh Lieb (Could not put that book down, it was great!). I also have Naked Pictures of Famous People, which Jon wrote in ’99. I highly recommend all of them; they’re all absolutely hilarious. :)

10. I haven’t bought any of the guests’ books yet either, but I am really tempted to buy “The Shallows”. I grew up pre-internet (by a long way) and it would be interesting to compare in my head how to I used to spend my time to how I do it now.

Actually the closest I’ve come to buying a guest’s book was buying a guest’s later book – I did buy Michael Pollan’s little “Food Rules” – a fun read. The show he came on on Stephen’s birthday is still one of my all time favorites.

Happy Anniversary DB – and happy 4th of July all!

11. Happy Anniversary DB! Happy 4th of July, and Happy Filipino-American Friendship Day! :D

I am always on the lookout for books written by TDS and TCR guests. Unfortunately, books from abroad are hard to find here and are terribly expensive because of customs taxes and other corruption-related stuff. I’m lucky that I found Thomas Friedman’s Hot, Flat and Crowded. My brother has Malcolm Gladwell’s books, though.

I don’t have IAAASCY yet :( I do have the teacher’s edition of America (The Book) by the TDS staff. For some reason we have a lot of books by right-wing authors here (eeek!!!). I’m not even sure why.

12. Balogna! says:

I am tangentially influenced by the show.
    I was doing a ebook search for Denialism, I came across Denial – a book about terrorism. Now that one I am pinning on the brain.

A sidenote: When I punched in a search for Being Wrong, the 2nd and third hits were the Josh Lieb book, I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I am America and So Can You. I tried to replicate that search and now it doesn’t come up. Huh. Well, that was a eyebrow raiser.

13. I haven’t bought any of the books but that’s because I am not a reader. I know that as interesting as they may sound, I will read very little. I did read the sample pages, at Amazon, of the Evolution of God.
    I say all the time that I wish I liked to read because so many of the books seem very interesting, but I would feel like I am wasting money if I buy them.
    I do love going into Barnes and Noble and seeing all the books that have been featured on the show. I get to show off to my friends that I know about all these books. :-)

14. Smashley says:

Happy Anniversary DB and Happy Independence Day everyone else! woo hooo America!!

I have at least one book from a guest that was on the show, though I bought it before he was a guest. I am not allowed to buy books anymore (self imposed rule) because I don’t have anymore space for them. my bookshelves recently decided to fall apart and now all of my books are in boxes taking up some space in my living room. Maybe once I decide it’s ok to settle down and buy a house, I can make a room just a Library and be happy and own every book that ever been mentioned on TCR and TDS…until then, the library it is when I get the chance!

which should be soon considering its only a few blocks from my home…

I know that I’ve purchased at least two books that I saw on TDS and TCR: “American Lion” and “Lost City of Z.” Many more have interested me, but I always need to buy books for ongoing research I do, so that takes up a chunk of my change. Plus, I always want to get some fiction, and there’s much less of that on Jon’s and Stephen’s shows.

Happy anniversary, DB!

16. Gratefull says:

Hope you had a fantastic anniversary, DB! You deserved a break and a get-away!

Books, I have learned a lot about and been fascinated by many of the guests but I have not bought a lot of their books. I have such a stack on my bedside table, that I am reluctant to get more until I catch up — which might be never. I think the books are breeding! LOL