How to listen to Bloomsday on Broadway on your iPhone

Public Radio Player for iPhoneAbout an hour ago, after thinking about how excited I was to listen to this year’s Bloomsday on Broadway this evening, but then I realized that I wouldn’t be home until 30 minutes after it started. *Not* good.

However, after doing a little digging, I found out a way that I can stream the presentation on my iPhone. The presentation is also streaming on New York’s public radio station, WNYC, which is one of the stations featured in the Public Radio Player app for iPhone. Go to the WNYC iPhone page to learn how to download the app and find the station.

Comments

Does anyone know what time Stephen’s segment will come on? I’m not sure about the scheduling of this event, has anyone listened to it in the past?

• Not sure, but he tends to be on kind of late in the program since he films until 7:30p EST or so most nights.

• MaryLovesColbert says:

Thanks for the info! I hadn’t thought of that, he has to film the show too!

2. FYI, wnyc.org is supposed to be streaming audio (though right now it appears to be All Things Considered), but SymphonySpace.org is streaming video from the performance: http://www.symphonyspace.org/live/bloomsdaylive

ETA: There’s also a rundown of the show at that Symphony Space link. Looks like Stephen will be performing in section V. Cyclops.

3. marleygirl84 says:

I love that they have video! Can I, once again, mention how completely adorable Stephen is??? I love the glasses on top of his head, and the stare down between him and Cyclops lol.

Difference makers: Thumb up +5

I love that he has his glasses on top of his head too! He’s adorable. :)

It’s so fantastic that they’re streaming the video! My internet connection is not wanting to cooperate however, so it’s buffering really bad. :( Hopefully I’ll be able to watch Stephen’s parts tomorrow if they’re still streaming it on the site.

5. Yes! :)

6. I have just started watching the live video streaming, and Stephen was on. All I have to say is that he is just awesome.

7. friedthing says:

Awesome and beautiful and entertaining as always, Stephen! I’m trying to cut down on my use of the word ‘adorable.’ ;)

Haha! I would cut down on my use of the word ‘adorable’ as well if it wasn’t the perfect way to describe him. :P

8. I think the thing that I thought was more impressive than anything else is that he could elicit laughs in the name litany that he read in “Ullyses”. Also, he turned Homer’s cyclops scene into a comedy as well, which I seriously did not think was possible. Brilliant actor, that Stephen Colbert fella.

I’ve never read any of “Ulysses,” but I thoroughly enjoyed Stephen’s reading of that name litany! Nice to see him without his glasses too, it was great there was a video feed. :)

AGGGHHH. I just spent 20 minutes writing my report from being there and stupidly forgot to put in the two words that allow it to post. All lost. Really, that HAS to be on top of the send button or at least we shouldn’t lose what we write even if it doesn’t post. At 1:44 in the morning I just cannot do this again, but I will say that it was an amazing evening all around. I love “Ulysses,” and so many of the performers were fabulous. Stephen really held his own, in my opinion, getting all the humor out of Joyce’s words and also showing some pretty damn good acting training: you need breath control to go through that list!

Since I was in the first row, I got a little glimpse of him in the wings just before he went on, and he was very, very warmly shaking the hand of John Shea, the actor who had just done such an incredible job as Bloom in the previous segment. It looked as if Stephen were really complimenting him.

I’ll try to reconstruct what I wrote tomorrow. But for people who watched the feed, could you see/hear what happened between Stephen’s two segments when Isaiah Sheffer rather innocently made the comment that he was “waiting for some actors to come onstage”–the (I’m certain unintended) implication being that Stephen himself wasn’t an actor! (Stephen was there alone, as his Odysseus segment was just with him and Stephen Lang, and Lang had gone.) The audience cracked up, and Stephen turned to Sheffer in mock shock, hands on hip. It took Sheffer a few minutes to realize what he’d said, and he quickly added “actors besides Stephen.”

Difference makers: Thumb up +8

Thanks for the recap Karenatasha! That’s awesome that you were right there in the front row!
      ARGH damn my internet connection for not letting me properly see/hear Stephen’s performance! Fingers crossed that Symphony Space has it streaming tomorrow, otherwise I’ll just have to buy the cd when it comes out.

• Thanks for the report – I’m glad you had a great time!

Sorry your original comment got nuked. When that happens, you can usually recover your comments simply by hitting the Back button on your browser, then resubmit with the ReCaptcha filled in. I know that doesn’t help you for last night, but it might save you some frustration in the future :)

• MaryLovesColbert says:

Thanks for the recap!

11. Thanks to Symphony Space for streaming the event! So much to praise about the evening. The translation of the Odyssey was really good – I have a couple at home that are on the stilted side (though I still enjoy them), but this was really fluid. Stephen’s segments were great, and it was neat that he got to read from both texts. And what a pleasant surprise to see Ira Glass there. Big highlight was Eilin O’Dea’s animated, saucy reading of Naussica – so very fun.

Each Bloomsday, I’m reminded how very much Ulysses is meant to be read aloud. The language of it just blossoms when spoken, and the humor sparkles through.

• Karenatasha says:

I so agree with you, Wren! Eilin O’Dea was amazing, and to me, she and John Shea were the highlights.(Of course, I loved Stephen, but those two were a delightful surprise to me.) The great Marian Seldes, in her few lines, also proved the old adage that there are no small roles, just small actors. She was unforgettable in just a few seconds.

I also agree about “Ulysses” being read aloud. I was thinking how much more approachable the novel would be for students if they thought of it as something other than “hard.” Funny, sexy, witty, and clever all come to mind.

When the other actors were performing, I did have my focus on them, but every once in awhile I’d glance quickly at Stephen sitting there waiting for his turn, and he seemed to be enjoying the evening very much himself. He did jump up very quickly at the end of his section to run, though; I’m sure he’d had a long day with another one planned for today.

Did anyone else listening notice that from time to time during his litany, he did seem to take on an Irish accent?

Oh, one last thing: Stephen really looked good. ;-)