EPISODE NUMBER: 6077 (June 15, 2010)
GUESTS: Hanna Rosin, Carl Safina
VIDEOS: Tuesday, June 15, 2010
You know, the more I hear about the “oversight” of offshore drilling, the more upset I become. It’s such a dangerously cynical mix of corruption, laziness, and strategic exploitation of legal loopholes. A Swiss-owned rig, leased by a British company, operating in US territorial waters, and it’s under a Marshalese flag of convenience in order to skirt inspection regulations? It’s times like these I especially appreciate how deftly Stephen and the writers raise pointed issues, while coating those very bitter pills in sweet, sweet humor.
I’m all for the sharp satire, but I love a bit of physical comedy, too, and Stephen shimmying out of his boxers (with his pants still on!) was silly as all get out. Someone needs to lay a dance beat over those moves! To men who find that particular female talent amusing, I say: you just try wearing a bra all day, and see how quickly you learn to get out of the darn thing. And the microwave as the modern implement of bra/boxer burning? Wonderfully absurd.
I thought both interviewees did quite well – interesting topics, good banter, lots of information. The idea that men may be falling behind women has become quite a concern in higher education in recent years, so I was interested to see Hanna Rosin’s take on the situation. I thought Carl Safina made some great points about regulation and the role of government, and I was pleased that Stephen chose to let him have the last word. I’ll definitely be checking out more of their work.
What were the highlights of tonight’s show for you?
- Are men an endangered species, and if so, can I no longer hunt them?
- Lesbians raise well-adjusted teens who don’t misbehave, and that proves it’s unnatural.
- Teenagers are supposed to be cryptic, angsty, mumble-mouthed narcissistic alienated mood-swinging reclusive cynical hormone junkies who go through vampire phases and are mortified to be seen with their parents even when you take them someplace awesome like the Grammys.
- If they’d been raised by lesbians, they’d have been Alexander the Relatable, Joan of Accounting, and Regional Manager Tut.
- Men can focus! I focus like a laser beam… hey, my pen has a little boat on it. Jimmy, let’s get me a gross of these and I’ll hold a regatta.
- Hey ladies, you want a girl that bad, go to China. Every checkout counter has a ‘Take a daughter, Leave a daughter’ tray.
- Why is that laughable? Why would you not leave your infant alone with an unemployed man?
- How long before a woman is crowned People Magazine’s Sexiest Man Alive?
- I heard the oil is haunted by the ghosts of the dinosaurs it used to be.
- Four to eight hours? Look, I’m no fan of regulation, but I believe an oil rig inspection should last longer than a Phish concert.
- I say we nuke ‘em. What’s that? We did? Testing our H-Bombs? 67 times in 12 years? Then clearly this oil spill is revenge.
- That’s why you don’t see Successory posters that read “Give Up, You Have No Control”.