EPISODE NUMBER: 6076 (June 14, 2010)
GUESTS: Stephen Prothero
SEGMENTS: Smokin’ Pole, Who’s Not Honoring Me Now/Who’s Honoring Me Now
VIDEOS: Monday, June 14, 2010
Yay, another week of new shows! It really never gets old. Stephen screaming “GOOOOOOOAL!” is always amusing, especially because “Stephen” professes so much disdain for soccer. I think he just likes an excuse to yell really loud. And while Stephen was trying to be silly with his comparison of Britain’s pensions to Pea Paw getting oil on his Florida shows, he’s kind of got a pretty serious point – while the pension problem is a very sad thing for many people who are losing their retirement, the oily mess is a catastrophic environmental disaster worthy of at least a little criticism.
Stephen openly weeping is never not funny, even if it’s just Acting! (Genius! Thank you!) And when I saw the story about Rain winning the Badass award, I was seriously amused at how many articles described Rain as “that guy who had a dance off with Stephen Colbert”.
I always enjoy any guest that is discussing religion because Stephen always brings his best game. Stephen Prothero really did his best to hold his line and not let the silly steamroll over the discussion, and the balance between serious and silly was just about perfect for this interview.
What did all of you like the most about tonight’s show?
- It is the biggest British mess to hit our shores since Amy Winehouse.
- You know what else is heating up? Our pelicans’ eyeballs.
- supercalifragilisticexpiali-suck it!
- But I don’t give a flying shepherd’s pie about your pensioners. What about our pensioners? Your oil has washed up on Florida, and it’s getting on my Pea Pop! Now I’ve got to go down there and scrub him with dishwashing liquid.
- English muffins are now Freedom Muffins. And Brit Hume is now Free Hume. You’re welcome, Free.
- We are going all the way … to the next game.
- I’m the only one excited here. No, don’t humor me.
- Yes kids, he’s real. And he’s crazy!
- We cannot let these fall into the hands of the Canadian military. For them, a 1000 year old ground squirrel snare is a huge leap in weapons technology.
- And you don’t want to be on your knees in Canada. It’s covered with ancient caribou dung.
- Mr. Freeze, Ice-second that motion.
- By the way, the world’s second largest ice breaker? Every factory in China.
- See, I can act.
- It was a veritable Who’s Who in who’s in Twilight.
- And now he wins for Ninja Assassin? Clearly [Rain] only won the Badass award because the movie has the word Ass in the title twice, and was bad.
- But you know who you didn’t see in that clip? Me. Who’s the better ninja now?
- No big deal, my name is in the dictionary. Now I can just sit back and let those royalties roll in. Why do you think they call it Coining a phrase? Cha-ching!
- Any way I want to say it? Smith.
- Let’s go with Yes, it makes me seem smarter.