EPISODE NUMBER: 6073 (June 8, 2010)
GUESTS: Mark Frauenfelder
SEGMENTS:Barack Obama on “Whoomp! (There It Is)” video?, The WØRD: P.R.-mageddon, Who’s Watching the Watchdog?
VIDEOS: Tuesday, June 8, 2010
In the summer of 1993, I was 22. I had just gotten my early college graduation present, a 1989 blue Chevy Corsica, from my parents and was about to start my senior year in college. And I can remember cruising around Commerce, TX with the windows down singing “Whoomp! There it is!” (the Tag Team version, not the inferior predecessor by 95 South) and loving life. In hindsight, I really think Tootsie Roll had a more lasting impact on the early-90’s Booty Jam genre, and I’m sad that Rump Shaker didn’t really have any lasting power, but Whoomp! was still a masterpiece for its time. Stephen playing the “Whoomp!” video and rapping about Pop that Coochie brought me back to a simpler time, a time where the world was mine and the radio was awash with misogynistic rap songs. Well, it kinda still is, but just go with me on this one.
It seems like forever since we had a WØRD segment, and this one didn’t disappoint. BP’s CEO is such a douche, and for him to think $50M worth of ads was going to clean up his image even a little bit is mind-boggling. I think Stephen made a very valid point – is the company using Tony Hayward as a focus point for all the hate? Probably. Oh well, maybe if he gets fired he’ll get his life back.
Stephen in the Consumer Reports labs was like watching a kid in a candy store. The way that way Maxine/Larry whimpered “Please don’t put aluminum foil in the microwave” was hysterical. But the moments that I adored the most were the ones where he was being calm, straight faced, and totally unreasonable, like when he asked about the nuts and then casually mentioned his “nut allergy.” And I got tears in my eyes with laughter when Stephen started singing to Jim/Larry in the testing lab/parent’s basement.
I, um, kinda spent too much time watching 90’s booty songs while writing this post and didn’t have a chance to watch the interview before I had to leave for work. Please do your own commentary about the interview in the comments to let me know what I missed. (Don’t worry, I’ll watch it when I get home.) Thanks!
- This is not what the White House needs right now. They’re looking at a summer of Jake Tapper asking Robert Gibbs “Did the President also pop that coochie, pop pop that coochie?”
- Because right now, from a PR perspective, it’s as if BP sold Cadmium-tainted Shrek glasses to a Gaza bound floatilla while cheating on Sandra Bullock with Joran van der Sloot. And then date raped a sea turtle.
- They also bought the search terms poison sh*t storm, shellfish holocaust, and date raping a sea turtle. [Also Title Of Lost Spongebob Special]
- It makes sense, because only BP has f**ked more people than Tiger Woods. [Both In Trouble For Unsafe Drilling]
- On that last one, he was actually quoting a pelican.
- He’s like a living, breathing, box of baking soda. [Harm and Stammer]
- Southwestern, I’m not sure if it crosses the border, but I’d check its papers.
- It’s ALIVE!
- There’s no nuts in any of these, are there? Because I have a serious nut allergy.
- Now do you soil yourself?
- Let’s say I killed a drifter with a dinner plate …
- I’d like to hear “I’m sorry.”
- I liked this Larry.
- I had learned far more than I needed to know.