EPISODE NUMBER: 6069 (June 1, 2010)
GUESTS: Ayaan Hirsi Ali
SEGMENTS: Vodka Eyeballing, New BPoil reality show, Stephen interviews the astronauts
VIDEOS: Tuesday, June 1, 2010
I went to bed way, way too late last night after all the Radio City Conan hubbub, but I gotta say, I was still totally jazzed about waking up to see our first new ‘Colbert Report’ in two weeks! I love shows when Stephen is all smiley during the intro – when you can tell he’s bursting at the seams with joy. I imagine he was giggling inside from the new “SCILF” intro word. Cheeky!
Some of that bubbling exuberance spilled over into the vodka eyeballing sketch with an adorkable character break over the St Pauli vs Pauley line. Something else unique about this segment was the fact that “Stephen” did something he very rarely does, which is decry the sheer stupidity of something. I’ve seen him angry, and happy, and weepy, but rarely do we see him smug about his intellectual superiority over others. Also, a sidenote: the vodka eyeballing video on ColbertNation.com has my favorite set of tags ever: “Tags: Jimmy, photos, alcohol, cracks up, partying, Taint”
Regular readers will remember that we published the unedited NASA interview last week. The cleaned up version was much easier to watch, and I loved seeing Stephen’s reaction side-by-side with the astronaut’s reactions. What a lovely treat! I love seeing the astronauts laugh, and the WristSTRONG salute was amazing!
What a fantastic show to welcome back Stephen after being gone for two weeks! Oh, how I’ve missed him! Feel free to talk about your favorite part of the show in the comments.
- That’s right – vodka eyeballing. Now I don’t want to get too technical here, but vodka eyeballing involves pouring vodka into your eyeball. Which is dangerous enough, but when you add the mixer and the swizzle stick, you’re talking serious corneal lacerations.
- You think you’re going home with the St. Pauli girl, only to wake up with Pauley. And girl, he is no saint.
- But of course, hindsight is 20/20, unless you poured vodka in your eye.
- Next you’ll be scotch nostriling, tequila nippling, and before you know it, you’ll be Jagerdtainting. That’s Jagertainting – Copyright 2010, Stephen Colbert.
- First, BP tried the Top Hat, then they tried Top Kill. Next, they’re going to try Top Chef, where they plug the hole with Tom Colicchio’s giant bald head.
- They’re not blaming anyone yet. They won’t jump to conclusions before all the facts, data, and one way tickets to Paraguay come in.
- Clearly they don’t cause spills, they cause unstoppable gushers.
- Of course! Dawn dishwashing liquid! They made that commercial last summer and now there’s an oil spill. How convenient!
- I’m speaking of the American astronaut, like Space Fonzie over here.
- To get used to weightlessness, I have let my muscles atrophy for 46 years.
- Did I just catch you in a space lie?
- Jon, I think you might be due for a crucifixion.