Howdy, Zoners! I hope you’re all enjoying a fantastic weekend. I’ve been a little scarce around here because I’ve been digging myself out from a big pile o’ Real Life, but I still kept one bleary eye on the Colbert news floating around the Internets. I’ve managed to round up a few gems for you, so here’s your zeitgeist for April 11th.
2010 Time 100 poll
- In case you haven’t seen it yet, Time magazine has their annual poll of the 100 most influential people up, and you know what that means. Start flexing those voting fingers, Nation! As I write this, Stephen is ranked at #31, with Jon Stewart behind him at #34, and they’re both rated in the upper 80s. Let’s work on improving those numbers, people! (I’m very pleased to see that Conan O’Brien is currently ranked at #6. And at #3– Rrraaaiiiinnnnn!!!!! *shakes fist*)
- This is mighty appropriate, considering Jeff Goldblum just appeared on the show this past Wednesday. In a recent interview, Goldblum briefly discussed his appearance on the Report to give his own eulogy (via Fanbolt.com) :
- How was it being dead? And, how was it giving your own eulogy on the Colbert Report?
- Jeff Goldblum: Those are great questions. Well, I love the Colbert Report. I’m a fan of that show and him anyway, and when they asked me to do that, I was delighted because they are smart. I get a big kick out of their sense of humor and I thought they came up with something funny for that and it was delightful to do it. The whole incident was bizarre and engendered a rainbow of feelings in me, of course…
- I’m a bit late with this, but here’s a good April Fool’s joke featuring Stephen. If anyone can save Cat Fancy magazine, it’s the guy who came to the rescue of U.S. Speedskating. And coached the speedskating team while getting his Cat Fancy fix.
TCR and TDS now available through PlayOn
- If you’re still lamenting the loss of The Colbert Report and The Daily Show on Hulu, there’s an alternative method for viewing the shows without cable service: “MediaMall Technologies, which sells PlayOn software to TVs to web videos, announced today that it added a link to ComedyCentral.com shows, including “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “The Colbert Report”… The software is installed on a home computer, which accesses online videos and TV shows from Hulu, YouTube, Amazon Video, Netflix and several other online video sources. Then, on a PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and certain other networked devices compliant with the Digital Living Network alliance, users can view the videos on their big TV — no extra cables or wiring necessary.” (Via The Gadgetress blog at The Orange County Register)
- The New York Times takes a look at the impressive commencement speakers that tiny Knox College has managed to nab over the past few years. Stephen is mentioned prominently, of course. At the time it was first posted, the article erroneously stated that it was his only commencement address so far, but that has since been corrected. As we all know, he gave the commencement address at the Medical University of South Carolina last year.
- Former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson is scheduled to appear on TCR on May 10th, reportedly as part of a media blitz that could be a prelude to a run for president in 2012. Governor Johnson made the announcement on his Facebook page. (Via The New Mexico Independent)
Icehole Lager t-shirts
- Hahaha!! R & B Brewing Co. is selling limited edition Iceholes Lager t-shirts to go with their Iceholes Celebration Lager. $25 CDN, plus shipping.
For space geeks
- Oh, how I love seeing Neil deGrasse Tyson on TCR. If the topic he and Stephen discussed during his latest appearance interests you, there’s more on the subject in this summary of the Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate, held at the American Museum of Natural History back on March 15th and moderated by Dr. Tyson. You can also download a podcast of the debate here at the Museum’s website. I was in the audience for this event, and I can tell you there were some passionate views aired. The podcast runs about 2 hours and 6 minutes.
- And for something completely different, and a little silly, Dr. Tyson posted a close-up of his “frequent guest card” on Twitter. I still say he deserves part-time sidekick status!
(h/t wren, Ms I, Jennie, Savatri, Katt, and DB)