Episode 6046 (4/6/2010)

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6046 (April 6, 2010)
GUESTS: Joe Bastardi, Brenda Ekwurzel, Rev. Al Sharpton
SEGMENTS: Science Catfight, Scrabble Allows Proper Names
VIDEOS: Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I’m wondering if anyone who was in the audience could shed some light on Stephen’s “fuzzypandabuttmunch.com” web site drop at the top of the show. And Yay for the “Dynasty” drop in the Science Catfight opener. I thought the catfight was a very interesting piece of television. I could feel my own biases come out while watching the discussion, as Stephen mentioned before the interviews started. It seemed as if Joe Bastardi was getting more and more douchy as the interview went on, while Brenda Ekwurzel did a good job of both holding her ground and maintaining an intelligent professionalism about the subject. Yay for benchpressing science!

I was having a discussion earlier this week about fandoms, and how a person’s feeling about a fandom evolves through the years. Hearing the collective audience/Twittersphere cheer at a reference to Filliam H. Muffman felt like slipping on a pair of comfy fandom slippers along with the rest of the Nation. How I love a good call back. And how ridonk was that game? I’m wondering if it hit anything as it flew through the air, as Stephen looked quite surprised after he flung it.

Most guests, when confronted with “Stephen”, agree with him with a wink and a nod. Al Sharpton is one of the few guests who will call “Stephen” out on his stupidity. And you have to respect him for that. Al caught Stephen a couple of times and made him have to step back and reevaluate his approach.

What did all of you think of the episode tonight?

Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Hungry Hungry Chutes and Scrabb-opoly: Baby Boomer Edition

• At this rate, by August it will be 220 degrees.
  • While an additional 3% of them believe global warming is cause by a smiling cartoon sun.
  • You can’t teach that. Or learn from it.
  • And guess who they never hire to work there? Meteorologists.
  • Now I don’t know what that means and I don’t care.
  • What’s the difference between climate and weather? Isn’t climate just made up of thousands of little weathers?
  • Of course, if you’re keeping score at home, I am S-A-D for you.
  • Its just like the Scrabble you grew up with, minus what made it Scrabble.
  • But those are just elitist ratings of those who can spell Apocalypse.
  • Best of all, at long last, my name is now a legal move. Unfortunately, those letters only add up to 23 points. Which is why tonight I’m announcing my new middle name – Qxyzzy. And do not spell it with two S’s. A lot of people make that mistake, and it’s offensive to my heritage.
  • So I’ve made a few more changes to Scrabble, creating a new game I call “Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Hungry Hungry Chutes and Scrabb-opoly: Baby Boomer Edition”.
  • Well then I guess I’ll cancel the party for after the show.
  • Al Sharpton: Now this is Exhibit A of why we need education reform in America.
    Stephen: I’ll take that as an agreement.

Comments

1. These new Scrabble rules take the fun away from the hours you spend sitting around a Scrabble bored arguing of what is and isn’t an acceptable word. Seriously not cool.

Stephen’s new game invention was totally awesome till he flung it half way across the room. I’m thinking due to his reaction that wasn’t planned?

A Filliam H. Muffman reference will never get old!!

• Exactly! A good argument is half the fun of playing Scrabble. I don’t like the new rules and will stick to the old ones.

Two great shows this week! Makes having sick kids during Spring Break a little more bearable.

2. Monday – Charlene. Tuesday – Filliam H. Muffman. Who will it be tonight? Big Stew?

I sooooo loved the Science Catfight – both the actual segment and the intro. I never saw an episode of Dynasty, but I recognized the clips immediately.

I loved the game – the Mouse Trap pieces caught my eye first. Thanks for the screen cap so I can examine its glorious detail. I have a feeling tossing the game was unplanned as Stephen’s reaction seemed close to mine – “Oh, no! That’s gonna break up bad!”

I love Al Sharpton with Stephen. I wonder if he’s ever seen his “interview” from TDS…

FYI: fuzzypandabuttmunch.com is available if you wanna grab it, DB. ;)

3. OK we haven’t played Scrabble in the longest time, but I agree with Katt. It takes the fun out of arguing.

I love that Stephen just flings the game off his desk. I also wonder if the pieces hit anyone because of the look on his face. I hope not.

Al Sharpton is sharp. Brilliant man.

Filliam H. Muffman! :)

I just love Stephen’s completely impulsive need to always throw things off of his desk, it never ceases to make me laugh! :]

• I know! Like those noisy Pringles cans! :)

The Pringles one is definitely a fave of mine, for sure. Ohhh there are so many examples of Stephen throwing things off his desk that I can’t even think of another one right now haha! DB – now there’s an idea for a new post! ;-)

4. In all honesty, I am not a fan of the new Scrabble rules. I absolutely loved how Stephen gave us the point value of each word combination- though I respectfully decline their usage and will stick to the old rules.

I agree with you – why they feel the need to revamp Scrabble is beyond me. I’m all for sticking to the old rules. That is, unless I’m playing Scrabble Apple, lol. :)

5. i am sooo hoping that the “steyonce” line goes the same way the “call me” lines went btn porizkova and stephen a.k.a- ending in an interview btn the two :D

The best part of the “Science Catfight” was when Stephen kicked his feet up on his desk when Bastardi and Ekwurzel started batting back and forth, it was hilarious. And I have to agree with you, DB – Bastardi was acting awfully douchy.

The only way I can think to describe Stephen during the Scrabble segment was kid-giddy. I just loved the look on his face when he started playing with that game, and then when he threw it over his shoulder. And bless him for that Filliam H. Muffman reference! I cheered at my television when I heard it. :]

What a great interview – Sharpton was definitely on point, and you can tell that Stephen enjoys interviewing him. I love that he is so unafraid to call “Stephen” out on his stupidity. Although, throughout the entire interview, I couldn’t help but think of Stephen’s “Al Sharpton” interview with Jon on TDS. :D

• whatsername says:

I loved when Stephen hoists a guest with their own petard: “Now you believe there should be a Lincoln-Douglas style debate about global climate change. What was the original Lincoln-Douglas debate about?” Bastardi: “Oh, it was about many things….” Stephen cuts him off: “It was actually about slavery.” Then you can see he brought up this fact just to “accuse” Ekwurzel: “Why are you pro-slavery? You want to keep the glaciers chained to the North Pole, and Joe and I want to free them into the north Atlantic.”

I loved that, too! He managed to nail Bastardi, and then used that to make a joke and an accusation to Ekwurzel right after. So Stephen showed off his book smarts and his comedy smarts at the same time, it was brilliant.

7. PriyaNoblet says:

STEYONCE! So silly.

I LOVE Al Sharpton to bits and pieces. Seriously, he’s so intelligent and quick witted. Amazzing.

8. Oh, the Science Catfight was all sorts of awesome! I loved the setup – that meteorologists are to climatologists as astrologists are to astronomers! It’s pretty rich to see the TV weathermen (who mostly just have a BA or BS) all saying they know just as much about global warming as climatologists (PhD, hello!), and equating short-term forecasting and long-term climate models. Not to knock weathermen, but it’s clearly not the same thing.

I also love that he used the joke setup about the Lincoln/Douglas debates to nail Bastardi en route (“It was about many things” = “I don’t know, but I’m pretending to”). My favorite bit, though, was putting his feet up on the desk: by siding with Bastardi during the debate, he’s really showing how ridiculous that position is. Wonder if Bastardi is aware of that.

Plus, one more win for the props department! That game looks awesome (too bad it’s now in a thousand pieces all over the studio floor)!

• Actually, I have a friend who works for NOAA as a meteorologist – a real scientist. Definitely not in the same league as Bastardi ( if that *is* his real name!).

9. I seriously loved everything about this episode; it kept getting more hilarious by the segment. Bastardi acted like a, well, um,… :P So glad Stephen nailed him on the Lincoln-Douglas debates! I truly appreciated how Ekwurzel maintained her professionalism – I wonder if she felt like going all “Jerry” on Bastardi. At least “Stephen’s” idiocy is an act!

Pardon me, but isn’t one of Scrabble’s main challenges (i.e., reasons to play!) to find words that are *not* proper nouns? Besides, the whole idea is ludicrous, given that a number of bloggers I’ve read on other sites besides this literate one wouldn’t know a proper noun from a hole in the ground! It was so much fun to see so many games of my childhood in Stephen’s version of Scrabble – glad to know I’m not the only one who recognized the Mousetrap part!

Oh, how I loved the interview with Sharpton!!! It was cathartic to hear Sharpton call out “Stephen” on his idiocy, especially working under the shadow of a new governor who shall remain nameless (cleansing breath, juice!) – “Exhibit A of why we need education reform” … LMAO! :D

recaptcha: Senator rugs
    (reminds me of my favorite tv-watching game, especially re anchormen, and male politicians and late-night celebrity guests: toupee or not toupee!

10. Can’t believe it. Someone just bought fuzzypandabuttmunch.com!!!
    Wonder what’s gonna be the theme?

• Oh, it’s just a domain squatter. They grab domains that they think other people might want to buy, and then try to make a profit off selling it back to them. It’ll just be generic ads, I’m afraid.

11. Although I was certainly biased in favor of the climatologist, I have to say I don’t think either of them did a good job – granted, the meteorologist was worse because he was a total douchebag, but the climatologist didn’t make very convincing arguments. But hey, I probably shouldn’t look to the Colbert Report for elaborate, thought-out debates when it’s “Stephen” we’re talking about here. :P

And man, Al Sharpton was…how do I put it…bad ass! He was definitely doing the nailing this time around.

12. Not much of a Sharpton fan, great interview nonetheless.

I really love when Stephen throws things off his desk. LOL. He seems to really enjoy it, and the things he throws always make a huge crashing sound! XD The Science Catfight was, I think, one of those unique things you can only see on TCR – probably because of Stephen’s moderator skills in that discussion. :P Al Sharpton was pretty awesome, I have to say.