Episode 6031 (3/3/2010)

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6031 (March 3, 2010)
GUESTS: Scheherazade Rehman, Garry Wills
SEGMENTS: Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger
VIDEOS: Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Any show that shows Stephen openly pouting, weeping, and talking about his obsession with Starbucks is a winner in my book. While I appreciate the comedy of the show, I also really like it when Stephen brings to my attention an issue which I knew nothing about. The interview with Scheherazade Rehman was very interesting, and I appreciated the perspective on the Greek economy.

I could seriously go for a Trenta cappuccino right now. This waking up at 6a is for the birds. And what is it with Stephen wanting to be covered/submerged in coffee? It’s good to see that the Starbucks Under Stephen’s Desk is still up and running, and that Barista Barry still has a job.

In leiu of a screencap, I would like to share with you this wonderful musical interlude from the show. I trolalalalove it!

• I’m just emotionally drained tonight, you know, because once again, I have been let down by a man. Why am I such a creep magnet? Jimmy, play something to get me out of my funk.
  • That principle? Tough s**t.
  • What if Gandhi had said, “F**k it, I’m getting a meat lover’s pizza”?
  • A modern Greek drama, which means not only is the country’s economy failing, it’s probably banging its mother.
  • I’m hungry.
  • I hear Goldman has inside information that Greece is hiding its debt.
  • Is Greece itself a natural disaster right now?
  • These trachea coddlers think they can improve on the design of a hot dog. Hogwash! Which, incidentally, is a major ingredient in hot dogs.
  • It’s [Starbucks] version of the Big Gulp, or in this case, the Big Twitch.
  • This Trenta is just one step closer to my dream of Starbucks offering a plexiglass room that fills with coffee.
  • You know what, folks? I am going to give Starbucks a rare double tip, or Dopio.
  • This is great, because even ordering a decaf low-foam skinny frappuccino with cinnamon sprinkles isn’t enough to make me feel like a man.
  • Thank you for making it Orange to reflect the current alert level. I assume it changes when it gets less or more dangerous?

Comments

1. Ms Interpreted says:

It’s really impossible for me to convey how hard that darn “Trolololo” singing guy makes me laugh (you should watch the longer clip if you really want to let the laughter crescendo). Now, if I could only get it out of my head …

Scheherazade Rehman was excellent, very informative without being stiff or pedantic. The Aeneid/Trojan Horse joke was obvious, but still made me laugh, and the euro/gyro joke was the same.

I’ve said this a lot in the past week, but it remains painfully true: Jim Bunning is a horse’s rear end. It was nice to see Stephen join in on the mockery of that horrible man’s posturing.

2. cordgrass says:

I love it when he cries

3. jerzegrl20 says:

The Trenta! Its a tease. I follow @Starbucks on twitter & they said its only in limited markets & only for iced coffee/tea. A “Wag of My Finger” to Starbucks! And who wouldn’t love to be submerged in a room full of coffee? I pray for that every morning. LOL:-)

4. I can’t believe he talked about P.I.G.S…It has been such a scandal in my country (Portugal). Loved the euuuuuu…hahaha…and Stephen didn’t let her finish but I’m pretty sure when she said “and if Spain goes down…so will Portugal”. I really loved that he talked about this issue which has been such a great concern for me. No one but Stephen to make me laugh about this.

5. PriyaNoblet says:

I really liked his tie last night..

Me too! And I love, love, loved that suit. :]

• PriyaNoblet says:

Oh man yess! Yummy pinstripes on a yummy man! HAH

• I swear he was wearing the same lovely outfit tonight. Hmmm, maybe recorded both shows last night?

I enjoyed this show very much, I didn’t know the extent of Greece’s problems either. And the Gyro joke was too much (in a good way).

Tip/Wag was great. I love coffee but always feel Starbucks is a ripoff. And many years ago when I was in college, Ralph Nader came and one thing he told us was how bad hot dogs are. I always remember that when I hear about them.

That singer’s video is hilarious…where do they find these things?

Roseha – I thought that at first, too, but in tonight’s episode, I noticed he wore a darker suit and a lighter-red tie. I do know that he looked equally FAN-tastic in each suit. :D

I’m not going to lie – I *love* Starbucks. Upside down carmel macchiatos are a gift from heaven. But I don’t always have 4 bucks to spend on a cup of coffee, lol, so I totally see where you’re coming from.

I had heard absolutely nothing about Greece’s failing economy, so I thought the entire segment was incredibly interesting. And it’s nice to see that the Starbucks Under Stephen’s Desk is still gainfully employed. I just hope they’re able to keep the shotgun shells out of their lattes. ;)

I really liked the guest last night. The interview had a great combination of jokes and serious discussion, and I thought Wills did a good job of keeping up with “Stephen”.

And the Gandhi joke made me laugh my a** off! :]

• PriyaNoblet says:

The Starbucks under his desk rekindled my curiousity as to what else is down there… It’s like a magicians hat!

I know – makes me wonder if John Oliver is still down there haha!