Episode 6024 (2/11/2010)

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6024 (February 11, 2010)
GUESTS: Al Michaels, David Ross
SEGMENTS: The WØRD: Political Suicide
VIDEOS: Thursday, February 11, 2010

Big shout out for the Toss, which I actually got to watch because someone reminded me to check. “Here comes my SHOOOOOWW!” Hahah!

Whoo hoo! Stephen’s on his way to Vancouver! How many Zoners plan on attending the tapings there in Creekside Park? Hopefully at least a few of you. In honor of the journey, we’ve gussied up our header with the new Shepard Fairey Olympic art featured on the show. Speaking of which, how interesting was the guest, David Ross? I really enjoyed seeing Olympic art through the ages. I love the stabbing Bob Costas theme that seemed to be running through the show. I hope it doesn’t make the NBC broadcasting booth too awkward next week.

Enjoy the Olympics, Team Colbert! We cannot wait for the Vancouver coverage!

Stephen Colbert's Shepard Fairey designed olympic art

• What the hell is uranian? Now I think it might be related to unobtainium, because why else would they be wearing 3-D glasses?
  • Don’t laugh – remember how we discovered Plutonium.
  • With over 200 filibusters in the last three years, they’ve prevented more action than my college roommate Eric. Dude, there was a coat hanger on the doorknob, we had a system.
  • I am going to blame that one on Orrin Hatch. He is one hep cat. [Has A Cat With Hepatitis]
  • By the way, I’m churning butter.
  • And I know the [Sports Illustrated] curse all too well. Ever since my issue came out, ever since this thing hit the stands, I have not been on any other cover of Sports Illustrated.
  • Colbert Report Global Snow Drive – Send two scoops, you want it to be grrreat.
  • Canada is going to need their vaunted health care system, because I’m going to be breaking hearts, blowing minds and busting balls. Also, I might stab Bob Costas … I’m on vacation!
  • Do you ever say to yourself, if I have to watch one more cross-country race, I’m going to stab Bob Costas?
  • I’m not going to win any medals for saying this, I say we let Al Quaida field a team.
  • Once again, you’ve got the naked tallywhackers up there.
  • He’s winning the 1500 Zeig Heil.
  • It actually looks like a gay downhill race.

Comments

1. Is there a file of the poster that we can save? It’s so amazingly cool! I’m tempted to buy one and hang it on my wall.

Incredible show last night. Some of my favorite episodes happen before a big event in the Colbert nation, when there’s so much pride and energy in the air.

2. Rather frustrating–he’s got the eagle, the laurels, the heroic physique, and yet no naked tallywhacker.

Ah well, I’m probably going to get the poster anyhow!

What a great show before Team Colbert heads off to the Olympics! I for one, am incredibly excited for him to be commentating along with Bob Costas and Al Michaels. I did like the David Ross interview. And how freakin’ fantastic is that Shepard Fairey poster? I hope they end up selling that – I would definitely buy one!

I really enjoyed the Word last night, but the part that I enjoyed even more was the fact that Jon and Stephen both used the same Star Wars reference when they did their little “It’s a trap!” clip. And the Toss was so great! Stephen’s “Here comes my SHOOOOW!” was too cute. Two Tosses in one week? Yes please! When was the last time that happened?

• They’re giving it away for FREE!!!!! I am so happy right now. Way to stick it to The Man! :)

Is that just the 8×11 one on Colbert Nation (which I am totally printing when I get home!), or are they giving away a larger one? I would give anything for the one like he had on the show last night…

• Two tosses back to back even! I always watch TCR the night of and wait to watch The Daily Show with my husband the next morning. I’ll turn it on just a little early to see if there is a toss but last night I really didn’t expect it and only caught the last bit. So awesome!

• ColbertGirl27 says:

When was the first toss this week? I couldn’t find it on The Daily Show’s site.

4. The Olympic Fanfare is playing in my head already…ba ba ba ba ba ba ba–well is sounds better than it reads! Can’t wait for these eps!

5. ColbertGirl27 says:

Although I didn’t see all the homoeroticism that David Ross suggested in the Olympic posters, I thought Stephen’s take on the abstract Olympic poster representing a gay rainbow ski slope (or something to that effect) was pretty funny! LOVE the Shepard Fairey poster! Now Stephen and Obama have a common link!

• I think what Ross meant by the homoeroticism comment was the fact that so much of the Olympic art from Ancient Greece featured very, very masculine (but also very delicate and pretty) men in very strong poses – I do think they were sculpted to look that way on purpose because it reflected the time period. I don’t know if I would have called it homoeroticism, but I got what he was aiming at. Does that makes sense? :)

6. I really enjoyed the interview and the discussion they had about the art of the Olympics, that Nazi poster was pretty fantastic and I am definitely going to be looking up old Olympic posters now. I’m just really upset that Stephen keeps endorsing Shepard Fairey though, he’s nothing more than a hack artist who plagiarizes the work of obscure political artists and turns a pretty profit off of meaningless slogans (I’m not talking about the whole AP picture shenanigan, that whole argument was silly). I just wish he’d do some more research before touting an artist with absolutely no artistic integrity.

7. captnbunny says:

I have no classes these next two weeks (woohoo!) so I definitely will be at Creekside Park to welcome Stephen!

• Yay! Repor(t), report, report for the rest of us! :D

recaptcha: Damascus duplexes (adorable alliteration)

8. laughing at nothing says:

An eagle being ridden with a snaffle bit…I don’t think I’ve ever seen an image of that before. I find it funny but also somehow vaguely disturbing. ;)

9. I just loved the Shepard Fairey Stephen poster! I especially loved the way he portrayed Stephen as having that calm look in his eyes (rather unlike “Stephen” you might say). But I just think it’s a great poster overall.

I also loved the Toss, with the countdown after “they’re going to be my audience in 30 seconds…”

Is it just me or have they had a lot of “WORD” segments lately? It’s fantastic! Oh, that poster is fantastic. It’s hanging on my wall right now!