Episode 6018 (2/2/2010)

Colbert Report Episode guideEPISODE NUMBER: 6018 (February 2, 2010)
GUESTS: Henry Allen, Eliot Spitzer
SEGMENTS: The WØRD: Congnoscor Ergo Sum
VIDEOS: Tuesday, February 2, 2010

There’s something about cringeworthy humor that I just can’t get enough of. It’s like eating a Sour Patch Kid – you make that ooky face, but oh man is it good. It’s the same thing when the grapics department shows pictures of Stephen breastfeeding. Now, we’ve seen Stephen bust out the disturbing breast pump, so we know he’s not above a nip slip for some off-the-wall humor. But he’s had an odd fixation with his own mammaries lately.

I found tonight’s WØRD quite ironic, actually. As far as Stephen goes, he’s actually relatively private. The paparazzi don’t chase him around, and he’s not one to showboat when he’s off camera. He’s a happily married man, loves his family, goes to church and keeps to himself when he’s not on the air. It’s one of the things that the fans I know admire about him – off camera, in his private life, he’s just really a good man.

And I’m pretty sure one of the most brilliant segues I’ve ever seen on the show was transitioning from the Blippy/crappy/knowy WØRD to talking about the reclusive J.D. Salinger. Very nice. Henry Allen definitely entertained me – he was almost an over-the-top caricature of what I would imagine a literary critic to be, with the bushy beard and the red bowtie. Delightful! And Stephen got in quite a few zingers in with Eliot Spitzer that made the interview an interesting study in redemption after scandal.

What did you all enjoy most about the episode today?

Stephen Colbert Eats Sergent Salinger Chicken - February 2, 2010

• Turns out, most people were angry about it. Mostly the Grammy people.
  • I should not have fed baby food to my Grammy. It’s only one day old. At that age, she should still be breastfeeding. I dread when she starts teething.
  • Congnoscor Ergo Sum – I am known, therefore I am.
  • In heaven, everyone’s a celebrity. [Hell Is a VH-1 Reality Show]
  • [What's MySpace?]
  • StephenAtHome - Stephen Colbert Twitter
  • And the posts, or um, blips? Bleeps? Bleups?
  • This is more exciting than going through old receipts. It’s like going through new receipts. [Cutting Edge Of Boring]
  • Blippy.com
  • And we know that you’re more than just a collection of purchases. You also have sex. [Sometimes With Your Purchases]
  • IJustMadeLove.com
  • I’m sorry, but I’ve eaten green eggs and ham in more places than that. If you know what I mean.
  • Surely we can be more invasive than that – how about a site that tweets when you crap? [creepy]
  • Better yet, folks, we can combine them all into one site called “knowny” which records every interaction, every movement of every person on earth and posts them online like a storm of random data points that shouts out to the blind, indifferent universe, “WE EXIST! WE EXIST! PLEASE LET THIS MEAN SOMETHING!”
  • I’m sorry, but I’m calling bulls**t on this Salinger guy. Maybe he was a recluse because of his principles, or maybe he was just boring. And I bet he didn’t have a killer set of abs. And if he did, he probably named them Phoebe.
  • I say, why not Sergent Salinger. Mmm … this chicken is so sad.
  • Would Holden have been tweeting today?

Comments

1. Man, I missed Spitzer, I had to run. I was looking forward to it too.

2. silkyjumbo says:

as a big salinger fan, i loved the “tribute,” but as a black viewer (or, judging by the audience at the taping i attended last august, THE black viewer), the intro was my favorite part. a friend of mine even sent me a message saying, “hey, colbert just called you out!”

3. After reading that first paragraph, I’m kind of sorry now that I didn’t watch the show before work this morning. Guess I’ll have to look forward to that when I get home later. Also, is it wrong for me to enjoy seeing Stephen’s name and the words “nip slip” in the same sentence?

Can’t wait to see that Spitzer interview.

4. Ms Interpreted says:

Okay, I think Stephen calling Catcher in the Rye a “crummy, lousy, Goddamn book” may be my favorite review of the book ever. I actually didn’t love that book (it’s one of those “classics” that I read and could see why some people loved it, but it made me go, “eh”), but it must have made at least *some* impression on me if, probably 15 years after last reading it, the use of those particular adjectives cracked me up.

And (oh, Stephen!) another WØRD already?! I’m going to be spoiled! This is delightful. :)

• I didn’t love Catcher in the Rye either and while I can’t say that I hated it, that line made me laugh as well. And I laughed *really* hard at the graphic of Stephen breastfeeding his Grammy!

5. I was rather shocked that Colbert didn’t try to get in on that wicked beard action that Mr. Allen had going on… very disappointing.

6. I can’t decide what was my favorite part of last night’s show, it was all really good!

7. I loved Stephen asking Spitzer “Do you have any big plans after the show tonight?”, plus after the interview, I’m sure he was pointing at Spitzer and yelling “I nailed you! I nailed you!”

I loved that comment, too! The interview seemed to be a good balance of jokes about Spitzer and then good questions about his new career. And I’m not sure, but I think he was yelling, “I condemn you! I condemn you!” repeating what he said at the beginning.

8. Last night’s entire show was so much fun, from the Grammy breastfeeding, to both interviews to the WORD (which quoted St. Paul’s famous “through a glass/as in a mirror” which was part of last Sunday’s Mass, and concluded so beautifully about knowing who we really are).

I loved the appearance of Green Eggs and Ham too.

9. friedthing says:

What an awesome show, every part! I think my favorite moment was “PLEASE LET THIS MEAN SOMETHING!”, not because it was funny, but because it was actually really moving. I was super impressed too that they had two WORDS in a row.

When Stephen said, “I should not have fed baby food to my Grammy,” I just got this image in my head of Stephen feeding baby food to his grandmother, haha. And the picture of him breast-feeding his Grammy both cracked me up and creeped me out.

I loved The Word last night (two in a row!). It’s crazy the amount of personal information people are willing to share over the internets. Sure, I have a facebook, but I don’t spend my time on it telling people what I paid for breakfast or whether or not I just got lucky in a hotel room.

The Eliot Spitzer interview was great! The absolute best part was at the end when Stephen made the comment about Ben Bernanke, “May I remind you, he screwed EVERYBODY.” That made me laugh SO hard. :]

11. It’s crazy today that everyone can be famous- at least in their own communities of youtube and facebook. I had no idea there were sites out there allowing for information that, in my mind, is TMI! There are some things I don’t want to know about others. A very poignant WORD segment is what I am trying to say! :)

I also thought the rare apology would be to Jon Stewart as the only performer on the album he didn’t thank! ;)

“I also thought the rare apology would be to Jon Stewart as the only performer on the album he didn’t thank!”

Me too! I said that to myself right after he mentioned he was giving a rare apology.

• silky jumbo says:

i figured they’re saving that for a toss.

What a fun show!! You made an interesting point there about Stephen actually being really private. You’re right, he is, and I think that’s a great thing. We know way too much about celebrities’ personal lives these days. It’s nice that Stephen respects the privacy of his family.

The WORD was really fantastic. We’ve had tons of “WORD” segments lately, it’s great! I’m surprised they’re doing them so often.

I think it’s great, too. The fact that Stephen does keep his personal life (and his family) separate and out of the public eye just makes me have more respect for him. :]