EPISODE NUMBER: 6005 (January 11, 2010)
GUESTS: Eugene Jarecki, Morgan Freeman
SEGMENTS: Harry Reid’s “Negro” problem, Colbert Platinum
VIDEOS: Monday, January 11, 2010
First, I would like to give the people over at ColbertNation.com a big bear hug for getting the show clips in beautiful high definition. They look fantastic, excellent job Team Colbert Nation! I was able to cap straight from the clips, which means that I don’t have to wait until the full eps go up before I finish the guide in the morning. Huzzah! I just love shiny happy HD. It warms the cockles of my heart, it really does.
I have been watching the Move your Money campaign at Huffington Post very carefully. The hubby and I have two bank accounts – one at a credit union, one at Wells Fargo. They each have their plusses and minuses, but overall, we tend to like the credit union much better. And the only thing that Wells Fargo has going for it is convenience. But man, is it convenient. And since all I do is a simple checking and savings, it’s difficult to tear myself away from such convenience. I found it interesting that while it seemed as if Stephen really did support the Move your Money movement, “Stephen” also managed to get in quite a few nails in, which surprised me. I always find the show much more entertaining when Stephen and “Stephen” blur like that, and it’s hard to figure out what is real, what is character, and what is character speaking for actual Stephen.
Morgan Freeman is a hoot. I have always respected him as an actor, and have heard very good things about his most recent movie. I thought he tried a bit hard with the interview, but he made up for it by saying untrustworthy things in a trustworthy voice at the end. And I loved how Stephen slipped in a commentary about the Conan debacle by having Morgan Freeman read it.
What did you all enjoy about the show today?
- Right off the top here, I just want to say negro. Negro, negro, negro, negro, negro, negro, negro, negro, negro, negro. You know there are some words you say over and over again and they lose their meaning? This is not one of them.
- Now folks, I don’t see race. People tell me Obama is a black man, and I believe them because I am afraid of him.
- Oh, and I suppose Obama’s not supposed to drink his crunk juice either.
- When I say Ne, you say Gro, Ne … [GRO!] Ne … [GRO!] Jay the intern … [negro] Morgan Freeman [nods head “No”] Maybe later.
- By all means, trust your savings to a suicidal manic-depressive who talks to angels.
- Where should crazy sociopaths put their money?
- So wouldn’t this be a great year to visit your lonely, frail unhealthy uncle?
- I’m no fan of higher education, but I do believe in excluding people.
- Yes, it’s a bit gruesome, but you should have seen where they put the ballots before the guy died.
- Conan – the 11:30 slot? Yours.