EPISODE NUMBER: 5144 (November 10, 2009)
GUEST: Karim Sadjadpour, Maria Shriver
SEGMENTS: Barney Frank Is Not a Great Outdoorsman, Iraniversary, Stephen Colbert’s Current Events
VIDEOS: Tuesday, November 10, 2009
You know how you intend to get up early when you have something important to do in the morning, only you’re having a dream about Stephen Colbert for only the second time ever and when the alarm goes off you start whimpering because you want the dream to keep going even though it’s kind of bizarre but still, it’s Stephen, and why would you interrupt a dream like that just to get up early and do something important, so you roll over and go back to sleep for twenty minutes but you can’t recapture the dream so you get up and now you’re sort of cranky and late? Yeah. That was my morning. Luckily there was a funny show to watch to make the cranky disappear, but I’ll probably be running twenty minutes late all day.
The news coming out of Iran fascinates me in the same way that the fall of the Berlin Wall did twenty years ago. There’s a strong sense that I’m watching history happening, and it makes me anxious for the Iranian people at the same time that I want to see what will happen next. The fact that one courageous math geek could confront Ayatollah Khameini and ask why no criticism of the supreme leader is permitted would have been unthinkable only a few years ago.
Oh heavens, that interview. Battle of the ice creams! Stephen and Maria Shriver feeding each other ice cream! That was so much better than my strange interrupted dream from this morning. Stephen kind of lost control of the interview, but I don’t care. It was a great interview. And I hope that Governor Schwarzenegger takes Stephen up on his offer to appear on the show and arm wrestle. That would be epic.
Let us know your favorite parts of the show in the comments, and be sure to vote for your favorite segment in the poll!
- I had no idea they had policemen in Maine. I thought they just deputized lobsters.
- Just because he authored a bill to legalize medical marijuana, why do people assume Frank would recognize a pot plant? Or drug paraphernalia? I’m sure he just thought his partner was playing the smokey water flute.
- Besides, Frank’s famously unobservant of things going on around him. I discovered that four years ago.
- Death to Russia?! Hey, whose ‘Death to’ day is this? Hello, ‘Great Satan’! You’re making me feel like the Good Beelzebub.
- It was a heady time when we believed that right could overcome might, and that Twitter actually mattered.
- Because wherever people fight for freedom, that’s where American’s attention is… until “Glee” started. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. AM I RIGHT? OH MY GOD.
- Why can’t these protestors move on? President Obama has. Now he’s negotiating with Mahmoud Ahma-little-teapot-short-and-stout-ijad.
- The difference between American nerds and Iranian nerds? The revenge of their nerds involves bombing Israel.
- Evidently Mr. Math never heard the equation Criticism + Ayatollah = U divided by 2.
- Remember, it’s “feed a cold, tase a stutter.”
- The police went on to cite Barrett with misconduct at an emergency, but excellent conduct of electricity.
- I love skeet shooting. And now I can go skeet tasing. See you at the firing range, Skeet Ulrich.
- Haha, character break!
- Does this look like the breakfast of a man who is taking his state’s financial crisis seriously? (Hah, how funny that they revisited the oatmeal smiley face pic!)
- Arnold, your wife is feeding me ice cream! What are you gonna do about that, old man?
- This one tastes like I’m making a profit off of it.
- Don’t spank my… ice cream!