EPISODE NUMBER: 5136 (October 27, 2009)
GUESTS: Rev. Randall Balmer, Gail Collins
SEGMENTS: George W. Bush speaks in Ft Worth, TX, Pope invites Anglicans into the Catholic Church
VIDEOS: Tuesday, October 27, 2009
On occasion, I have moments in my life where I realize how much amazingly trivial knowledge I’ve managed to retain that is of absolutely no use whatsoever. When they panned over the audience to the handsome gentleman with the collar the size of my first apartment, I said, “Hey, isn’t that Dr. Vizzone?” And then I thought, I can’t remember to feed my cats, but this I remember?!
The Motivational Seminar was actually really big news here in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I don’t know of anyone who went personally, but they talked about it a lot on the radio and television. Luckily, for the most part, the only way that Bush really makes much local news is when they talk about his library that they’ll be building on the SMU campus, about four miles from my loft. I really enjoyed the Episcopal priest, Rev. Randall Balmer. I always find religious guests interesting because it’s always so fascinating watching the real Stephen emerge during interviews, and trying to figure out what is real versus what is “Stephen”.
I also enjoyed listening to Gail Collins. Being a professional career woman, it’s always interesting to see how far my career field has progressed since secretaries’ duties mainly consisted of typing letters and making coffee. Even within traditionally female professions, the responsibilities and status of many jobs, such as Executive Assistant (formerly Secretary) has raised from being a simple clerical job to a high-earning job with advanced reporting, computer skills and a college degree needed for success.
What did all of you enjoy about the show today? One of my favorite parts of the show was the many, many smiles all over the interview. It’s always fun to see Stephen’s eyes light up when he feels he actually got away with a joke. So enjoy these screencaps!
- I mean, that covers all the days!
- That is a vast improvement over when Bush packed a stadium full of people.
- What am I, make of nickels?
- Look at the twinkle in his eye … socket.
- You can’t have women and gays wearing clothes like this – that’s guy stuff!
- Pope Benedict swooped in. That’s why he wears he cape. It allows him to swoop. He’s like a flying squirrel. A flying squirrel who speaks directly to God.
- It’s like the Catholics are the National League, and the Anglicans are the American League. They’ll all be playing the same game, only Anglicans will be allowed to have designated hitters in that the Pope has designated that the priests can still hit that.
- Remember, this segment is for Platinum members only. If you’re not currently having cosmetic surgery on your internal organs, why don’t you scurry off to 7-Eleven and raid the take-a-penny tray.
- I don’t know if that was pixilated at all.
- It seats five, although you can seat seven if you get the back seat aroused.
- I want to sell sell some books here, are there any teenage vampires in your book? Let’s sell some books and say that Gloria Steinem was a vampire.
- The women take care of the kids. That’s just biological. I don’t mean it’s sexist, I salute all the ladies. I cannot produce milk. I’ve tried. It’s just painful and it doesn’t work.
- I’m glad you found that so amusing, that could have gone either way.