EPISODE NUMBER: 5132 (October 13, 2009)
GUEST: David Javerbaum, Sylvia Earle
SEGMENTS: Miley Cyrus deleted her Twitter account, The WØRD: Symbol-Minded, David Javerbaum, G.E.D.
VIDEOS: Tuesday, October 13, 2009
My husband and I were eating dinner last night when he turns to me and says, “Did you hear that Miley Cyrus deleted her Twitter account? She made a video about it.” We discussed it and laughed at how such a non-news item was making such as splash. So when Stephen started off his show with the discussion of Miley’s Twitter account, we both laughed quite heartily. The introduction of Jermaine Maine was a thing of beauty, and I hope that somehow they find an excuse to drag that character (and that horrid wig) back another time or two.
I actually stayed up and watched the show last night, which is a rarity for me – I normally call it a night early and get up to watch the show around 6a. But I was really looking forward to the Javerbaum interview, and it did not disappoint. I think the most amusing part of the whole interview was watching my own Twitter follow feeds explode with the chorus of “I didn’t know Javerbaum was so CUTE!” His segment was very amusing as well. My favorite part was the highlighting of the author picture on the book. That is so very wrong, yet at the same time so very, very right. I’m definitely going to be picking up What to Expect When You’re Expected this weekend!
Sylvia Earle was a very unique guest. Her demeanor was one of someone who was intelligent and gentle and like the ultimate grandma. It was an interesting character study to see Stephen seriously dial “Stephen” down for this interview with this quiet soul. And let me give some serious props to the person who chose to show a very bad 5-gallon tank with tetras and other hobby fish in the background – a subtle but brilliant set move.
What did you enjoy about the episode tonight?
- Folks, this is a twagedy.
- Miley has always been my favorite rapper. She stays away from violent messages, foul language and rappers.
- The real fun for Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana fans will be wondering if the tweets are from me or from my fun loving, pop-star alter ego Jermaine Maine – a totally, totally famous rock star who for no legally actionable reason, knows a ton about Miley Cyrus.
- You will be avenged, Archduke Ferdinand! What? We were on the other side? You had it coming, buddy!
- This is a war memorial, not a box of Lucky Charms. [Cross Far More Nutritious]
- If it helps, don’t think of it as the cross that Jesus died on, think of it as a giant T, for “thanks, Jews”!
- China has a fifth of the world’s people, and many of them are not on death row.
- And a new Pew research report claims that nearly one in four people in the world are Muslim. And if you consider that the world is 70% covered by water, that can only mean one thing – aquamuslims.
- Stephen: You know, what might have thrown me was your author photo. You look a little like Antonio Banderas from “The Mask Of Zorro.”
Javerbaum: Yeah, I get that a lot.
- Javerbaum: But never forget you are a miracle. A miracle that makes mommy vomit.
- For instance, I am 45, and I’m not even close to being weaned.
But that Ashton Kutcher is still doing it, right? Then I’m in!