EPISODE NUMBER: 5098 (July 22, 2009)
GUESTS: Matthew Waxman, Chris Anderson
SEGMENTS: Eclipse in Asia, The Pope breaks his wrist
VIDEOS: Wednesday, July 22, 2009
The first segment for tonight’s show for me was all about the wardrobe. I loved Stephen’s dark suit and lavender tie tonight. I’m pretty sure that Stephen will use pretty much any excuse to wear that shiny silver cape. The interview with Matthew Waxman was really enlightening, and something that’s not talked about much in the mainstream media. The question of “why can’t we just take the terrorists” out is a very complicated one, and one that hasn’t been sufficiently answered for either political side.
It’s so good to hear that wrist awareness is still at the forefront of Stephen’s mind. How many of you Colbert Nation members have a WristSTRONG tanline this summer? [Raises hand - and looks at wriststrongtanline and assume she does, too] I always have two bracelets – one to wear, and one as a back up in case I get a chance to WristSTRONG someone, which I’ve done a couple of times. And I can never, ever get enough of Gregorian chant. I really need to get myself to a Tridentine Latin Mass again soon – they’re really fantastic.
I’ve been meaning to read “Free” by Chris Anderson for quite some time. The whole concept of the Free and Freemium internet is one that has recently become a bit of a problem even for this little site. We’ve never made money on this site – we’ve always taken the miniscule funds we’ve managed to raise and poured them back into the site. As big as we’ve grown, we’ve been forced to monetize so that we can pay for the hosting that it takes to be able to keep this site running. But I hate having to do montetization. I hate having to put ads on the site, but I don’t have the disposable income to pay for the hosting that the site needs. There are many sites who look good in theory but have struggled to monetize to the point where they’re economically feasible, let alone breaking a profit of some sort. We’re fortunate here that we have a very strong community willing to help subsidize the hosting costs, but not all sites are so lucky.
For those of you who would like to read “Free” for free, Anderson has published the book online, and I’ve embedded the book at the bottom of this post for your reading pleasure. You can also check out his Wired blog site for more information about the book and the links for the free audiobook.
What were your favorite parts of tonight’s show? And did those WristSTRONG flashback clips make you miss Stephen’s old hair as much as me? Talk about it in the comments!
- Heavenly dog eating the sun – thats ridiculous! The cat queen of the rainbow would stop him.
- Because there’s nothing evil spirits fear more than cowbells and burning Christmas trees.
- People of Asia, This is your galactic overlord.
- The huge surprise is it didn’t include cannibalism.
- If I am elected, I will assassinate Ford – Jimmy Carter. … An exploding peanut, I believe, is what he would have used.
- Right after 9/11, [Congress] would have agreed to anything – wiretapping, library records, inviting in a third branch for a little role play … they were very vulnerable.
- Do you think there’s any chance that Pinetta cancelled Cheney’s assassination squads because he was afraid that Biden would get a hold of them?
- I love Popes AND wrists. That’s why I never miss the Vatican’s annual Ultimate Frisbee tournament.
- And if someone cuts the Popemobile off in traffic, how is he supposed to give him the Papal Blessing? [flips the bird]
- I thought the pontiff would be aware of my campaign for wrist awareness. After all, we have only one degree of separation – our friend Jesus. He’s heaven’s Kevin Bacon. He’s Heaven Bacon.
- Every Wrist is Precious
Ignore Wrist Safety At Your Own Peril!
I Am Spartacus!
- And once we get to the Pope, just imagine who he will be able to give it to – John Voight!
- Sir, you are the author of a book called “Free” and it costs $26.99. I love a bait-and-switch. Well done, my man, right up here. SUCKERS!
- What’s Freemium? That sounds like a real made up word.
- Am I free?
- Everybody knows that I’m a straight shooting, tell it like it is guy who works hard every day and just enjoys the clean, crisp taste of Bud Light with Lime.
Click past the break to read “Free” for FREE!
FREE (full book) by Chris Anderson (Read in Fullscreen)