EPISODE NUMBER: 5086 (June 24, 2009)
GUEST: Matthew Crawford
SEGMENTS: Stephen Colbert’s Sport Report
VIDEOS: Wednesday, June 24, 2009
That audience last night was on fire! So chanty! Love spontaneous bouts of chanting for no apparent reason. For those who were wondering if Stephen was going to go light on Mark Sanford, we got the definitive answer of Hell No last night. Stephen falling asleep at his desk made me laugh out loud really hard. And I loved the doctored Better Know a District.
I wish I could have been in the writer’s room when the discussion of “which major sporting team has the gayest mascot?” And living with a home-grown Wisconsin boy, the sport of Brett Favre retirement watching is a pretty serious event in my home.
I enjoyed Matthew Crawford’s interview quite a bit. It was a bit laid back, and Matthew made a lot of good points about work and intention. I definitely want to pick up that book. And if you’re in southeastern Colorado, a little south of Pueblo, you may have won the ‘Colbert Report’ Random GPS Coordinate Lottery. Click here to find the exact location for Latitude: 37.718 and Longitude: -102.656.
What was your favorite part of the show tonight?
- They are so prolific. Joe’s eyebrows aren’t the only thing that comes out with something new every 3 months.
- Mark Sanford, a man who is so boring, he lives up to his nickname – Mark Sanford.
- No, Jimmy, that’s a blank sheet of paper. No, Jimmy, that’s vanilla ice cream. No, that’s a blank sheet of paper again. Oh, wait, that’s him.
- Wow, the Appalachian trail is longer than I thought.
- What a shocking, shocking turn of events. I would never in my life believe that Mark Sanford was capable of doing something interesting.
- Perhaps very interesting? This person, that person? Really? That’s the phrase I use when I’m talking about Jackie, a “person” I met in the meat packing district with an adam’s apple and hands like canoe paddles. Could this be “that” interesting?
- First up – Soccer, the sport for fourth graders that foreign people take seriously.
- Gooooooooooooals are what I’m told are scored in Soccer.
- Those are guys, right?
- Anytime you bring politics onto the field, you lose. Let’s face it, the Oakland Raiders might not have lost 75% of their games over the past 6 seasons if their logo hadn’t been a clear endorsement of gay rights. An eyepatch and a leather helmet? Message received.
- I’m no fan of tennis. If I wanted to see men in short shorts running around hitting balls with a paddle, I’d go on the internet.
- Law & Order: Tennis Integrity Unit
- That’s right, the national passtime of Brett Favre retirement watching. A sport that has lasted more seasons than the XFL.
- Of course, Green Bay would love to help Favre become a Viking by putting him on a boat and setting it on fire.
- You are both a philosopher and a mechanic. Which one of you is not wearing the tie.
- I do nothing but pass judgement. I’m doing it right now.
- So you helped damage knowledge itself while doing this job. Well done.
- Why did you not say “bad”? That sounds so very University of Chicago.