Medical University of South Carolina honors James W. Colbert Jr., M.D.

DB just forwarded me this nice story from Twitter user @jennygilson, and it made me … very happy. From the Medical University of South Carolina:

Board approves renaming building for first provost

MUSC Board of Trustees recently voted to name its education center and library in memory of the school’s first provost and vice president of academic affairs, James W. Colbert Jr., M.D. A dedication event is scheduled for April 10.

Colbert joined MUSC in 1969 to oversee the school’s academic and research programs in the newly created position of provost and vice president for academic affairs. Layton McCurdy, M.D., dean emeritus of the MUSC College of Medicine, described him as a “transformative figure” who helped the university adopt the traditions of academic medicine, a doctrine that seeks to improve patient care through continual medical research and education.

. . .

Read the full statement here

This seems as good a time as any to re-embed Stephen’s marvelous tribute to his father. From the truly wonderful strike episode:

Comments

1. wildlymissingthemark says:

how wonderful for the colbert family, especially Mrs. Lorna Colbert.
    i can see now how Stephen is so smart, with a dad who went to Yale med school. he seems like he accomplished a great deal of good for society in his life, just as stephen has already done.

2. What an honor! It’s a good day in the Colbert Nation.

3. This got me kind of teary.

4. That episode belongs in the Smithsonian along w/ Stephen’s portrait, it is truly a national treasure.

5. jentaps says:

That’s so wonderful! Congratulation to the Colbert family. From all of us in the Colbert Nation.

Oh! That is so heartwarming! I had no idea his father did so much at the college. I think it’s just wonderful that they’re naming the building after him. Congratulations Colberts!

7. laughing at nothing says:

This is a beautiful gesture on the part of MUSC, and an deeply emotional and congratulatory moment for the whole Colbert family. The dedication is scheduled for Good Friday.

• I have to agree with you there. This is a very touching moment for their whole family. He sounds like an awesome man. And one of his offspring is a sign too.

8. TraceyUK says:

I like that the article is about James, and that Stephen is almost an after thought, in a ‘oh, and one of his sons is now on TV’ kinda way instead of ‘Stephen Colbert’s father honoured…’

That makes sense, right? :)

(reCAPTCHA: Prison President…)

• MaryLovesColbert says:

I agree. I’m glad they didn’t make Stephen the focus, cause – for once – it’s not about him, lol.

• ColbertGirl27 says:

Yes, that was classy. I’m sure Stephen was happy to see his father remain the center of attention in the article as well.

9. Laaaura says:

Aww, wow, what a wonderful honor for the whole Colbert family!

10. Jenny with a Y says:

It sounds like they couldn’t have picked a better person to honor. Congratulations to the Colbert clan!

The strike video always makes me tear up a little.

11. LadyNocturne says:

Awww, that’s such a huge honor for the Colberts! Even through these small glimpses of him, Dr. Colbert seems like he was a wonderful person.

12. Ms Interpreted, thank you so much for sharing the news, & for adding one of my favorite videos.

Congratulations to the Colberts!

13. This is so incredibly touching. Dr. Colbert seems like he was a wonderful man. That video always makes me tear up too. Congrats to the entire Colbert clan!

14. That is incredibly cool.

15. Wow – I didn’t know he had such an extensive background! Headed two highly respected academic institutions, negotiated the strike within his first year at the hospital, AND he was a veteran? Cool guy! No wonder Stephen turned out so well!

• ColbertGirl27 says:

Here, here.

I wonder what his experiences were like when he served in the Army Medical Corps in Europe during World War II.

• Dr. Colbert’s CV is very impressive, more impressive seems to be his ethics and humanity. In Stephen’s case proof that the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree.

16. looped linear says:

Congratulations Colbert family, on this great honour.

17. Sapphire says:

Wow, those are some great accomplishments. I hope he felt that he completed his goals, and that they were as much appreciated back then. Congrats to the family.

18. What a great honor, and how wonderful for the Colbert family!

19. Gaia Faye says:

:) I feel warm and fuzzy.