Friday Free-for-all: Seriously, the Economy Sucks edition

Normally I take this time each week to talk about the fandom, or other fun stuff. But today I’m going to tell you about my day.

At 3:00p today, I was laid off from my Purchasing position at the second largest large-format printing company in the country.

My position was to purchase the paper for all of our locations in the DFW Metroplex. Like most companies, my (now former) employer was struggling financially. The bread and butter of my former company is the reproduction of blueprints and large-format printing for architects and construction. With the economy as bad as it is, no one is building anything. Sales were down over 20% in Q1 of Fiscal Year 2009 compared to FY08, and the layoffs were trickling through the company slowly but surely. Three sales people were laid off earlier this week, a few delivery drivers before Christmas. And those are the ones I had heard about.

One of the cost-saving measures they were working on was moving the warehouse inventory where I worked to a smaller location, saving the company $7,000 a month in overhead. I didn’t officially find out about the move until Wednesday of last week. As soon as I heard about it, I just knew in my gut that my position was going to be eliminated. The stress last week wondering if I was going to be laid off was immense – it even took its toll on the blog. If you noticed, I really didn’t blog much last week. I was just sick with worry. As the time of the move got closer, it looked like my job was secure, and I began to relax a little. But today, my boss took me in and told me that she had to cut my position. Since I’ve only been there six months, that also means no severance pay whatsoever. Because she told me so late in the day, the unemployment phone lines were so tied up that I couldn’t even make my claim. No one would answer the phone “due to unusually high call volume”. I’ll try again on Monday morning.

My boss, or former boss, said she’d be more than happy to give me a reference, so that’s a good thing, and I’ve still got my references from my past position and a very strong personal reference that I met in my duties with this blog. It’s a great company, and my husband still works there. My boss is also indirectly my husband’s boss, and she said that his job is one of the most secure in the company due to the location where he works and the nature of his job. It’s just that the economy is in the toilet, and my former company is struggling like so many others.

While I’m immensely sad, I am also resigned to the fact that it’s happened and I have to move forward with finding a new job as soon as possible.

If anyone knows of any positions in the Dallas/Fort Worth area that require experience with programs such as MS Word, Excel, Access, and a strong administrative skills set, please let me know. I have a Bachelor’s in History, and have extensive reporting, analysis and researching skills. I’m also fluent in blogging, HTML, WordPress, and online social media and would love to be able to turn these well-developed blogging skills into a new career. I’d very much be willing to relocate, work from home, or travel if necessary.

I’d be more than happy to forward my resume and personal information, as well as a very strong set of references. Please feel free to e-mail me (contact information in “Contact” button above).

So, in summary, it’s been a very stressful day. Luckily for me, and for my staff and for my readers, the only costs associated with this blog are my Internet access. So this blog will be around for a long while. I’ll do my best to keep my personal life off of here, although I definitely can’t say the same about my Twitter feed. I just needed to share a little bit.

Thanks for listening to me. You know what might cheer me up a bit? A puppy. Because hey, it worked for Jon Stewart.

Comments

1. Ms Interpreted says:

Honey, I am so sorry!

I wish you the speediest of turnarounds (you’d be a catch for any employer worth his/her salt), and I only wish I had some leads to give you.

(I also apologize for being all but M.I.A. lately; you know how it goes with the whole “due to circumstances beyond our control” nonsense.)

Here’s hoping for the best, both for you and your terribly good-natured husband. Virtual hug!!

2. DB, I am so immensely sorry to hear your news. Unfortunately I have no contacts in the DFW area, but I’ll keep my ears and eyes open for anything that might be helpful to you. My thoughts are with you and I truly hope better days are ahead. Just know that all of your work here at NFZ is greatly appreciated and highly valuable to the community you have helped create. This site is the first place I come in the morning and the last I go at night because of the sense of community, the fascinating discussions, and the occasional eye candy doesn’t hurt either :) Thank-you for the joy you bring on a daily basis.

3. *HUGS!* DB, you are truly a Hero. I don’t have any contacts in your area, but if I did, I’d do my best to help. I know how you feel, as we all do, and I also wish you better days. I’m rooting for you (and anyone else who is struggling — seems like we all are)! Thank you for maintaining the blog and bearing with my crazy Tweets ^_^;; You always make me smile! <3

4. Oh, DB, I’m so sorry. Mr. Jentaps was laid off on Jan. 5, so it’s going around. You’re so talented that someone must snap you up. Meanwhile, I’ll see you here. All my best to you and Mr. DB. Who knows, maybe TCR will put you to work. It could happen.

You’re in my thoughts.

5. :( I don’t know of any contacts directly, but have you looked at local academic institutions (college, districts, etc) for administration? I don’t know your full credentials.. (They may not be open for MLK Jr. observance though

possible links (yay! my comment will be moderated! I’m not even sure this will work, sorry)

https://jobs.unt.edu/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1232151672896 (new listings 12-28-08 onward)

https://www.utdallasjobs.com/applicants/jsp/shared/frameset/Frameset.jsp?time=1232151006489 (new posting of A.A.II as of 1-13)

Best of luck and take care there.

6. sorry about that, I didn’t know the comment would show up immediately. Probably a cause for a delete?

7. DB, I’m so, so sorry. This is an awful thing, but I hope you bounce back quickly. Who knows, maybe you’ll find something even better. I wish you all the best in your search.

8. DB, sending you lots of hugs! I wish you the best of luck in your job search. With your skills, I’m sure you’ll find a great position soon. This could be the beginning of a new career for you in which you get to put your fantastic blogging skills to work on a full-time basis.

9. DB, I’m so sorry to hear that. Sadly, I don’t have any helpful information to offer, but I wish you the very best of luck.

*positive vibes, positive vibes, puppies*

Oh no. I am so, so very sorry to hear about your news. That’s just awful that the bad economy is affecting you now. I hope that you can continue to find happiness here at the site though. We’re all supporting you! I only wish I had some contacts to help you. But, alas, I am only a college student.

Best of luck in finding a new job!! <3

11. Sorry about the crappy news, the economy is indeed a beast. I agree with bit, your blogging skills should get you some serious $$$$.

12. Oh I am so sorry, what terrible news! I know how stressful job hunting can be, but you’ve got a tremendously valuable and versatile skill set. I’ll be crossing my fingers and toes for you that a fabulous job is just around the corner.

I don’t think I have any contacts west of the Mississippi (or at least not until you get all the way across the Pacific to the other side!). Maybe if you need a little lift, you can do what I do – watch the Character Break Compilation (Don’t worry, be happy) (my all-time favorite, like a soothing balm of Colbert joy and love).

13. DB – sorry to hear the news. I’m sure with all your great skills that you show us with the blog, you will be able to find something new and maybe even better.

Best of luck in the search, we are all here for you.

This always makes me happy -

14. superduper says:

:’( i’m sorry.. well, as much as i really appeciate how much time you put into this website, i truly hope you do find a job DB. i would bake you brownies, but i’ll keep you in prayer

15. Jenny with a Y says:

DB, I am so very sorry about your news! I was keeping my fingers crossed for you today because I knew that you were worried about being laid off. Even though you tried to prepare yourself for the possibility that it might happen, I’m sure it was still a major shock. I’m sending virtual hugs your way. Please let me know what I can do to help you out both as a friend and as a Colbert Completist.

If I come up with any leads for you, I will surely pass them along…

16. I’ve been lurking here for a little while, and haven’t had the courage to say anything before now. Thank you for all the time you put into this website, and making it such a lovely place. I only wish I could help more, but I’m on the other side of the Atlantic :(

• Jenny with a Y says:

Welcome to NFZ, Sap! Thanks for reading our blog. We love to hear from all of our readers, so please feel free to add your comments to the online discussion whenever you feel like doing so!

17. You do have contacts from all over with this blog, and that is a very good thing. But if nothing comes through with that, this is a very difficult time to find work. A positive way to channel job hunting frustration is by cooking (I’ve found I can stretch a chicken very very far) and by doing other things to save money at home. It is empowering.

The economy won’t be back to normal for another year and a half, because there is another year’s worth of bad loans coming through the pipe soon, and thank goodness then that will be the end of it. But even in six months I think we will see the economy improve; I have faith that Obama will be the Axe Body Spray the economy needs, and I think his stimulus plan will help. So sit tight and don’t get discouraged if a job doesn’t pop up right away. And hopefully a job will pop up right away!

18. Aw, I don’t even need to click on that link, I remember when Jon Stewart used a puppy as a cheering-up method. Sorry to hear about your job, DB. I’m afraid it’s going to happen to more of us before it starts to get better. Hang in there, paper the town with your resume, and network, network, network. I don’t know anyone in Dallas, but a guy I work with has family there, so I’ll tell him to put the word out on your behalf. Best of luck!

19. verbaltypo says:

I’m so sorry. This economy is horrible. Over the summer, a family member got laid off from his job, as well, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. I’m sure everything will work out, DB!!

20. DB, have you looked at Craig’sList online? It’s a gigantic website for everything you might need. Community, personals, discussion forums, housing, for sale, services, jobs, gigs, and resumes. That’s a really great site to look at when you are looking for jobs or just anything in general. I used to look at this site for part time jobs in graphics work. I think I even have one of my old resumes up there.

I hope this helps.

21. I don’t know if my pervious comment made it (don’t see it) so just go here.

22. Sorry Deebers.

The husband’s boss has threatened to fire 15 people over the next few months. He’s seriously going about it the wrong way. Going on vacation while his business and employees are suffering, etc. Two people were immediately fired after the new year, so everyone’s been totally stressed out wondering if they’re next. As you can imagine, we’ve got every limb and finger crossed.

Wishing you all the luck in the world, babe!

23. That’s just terrible! Everyone’s getting hit and I’m sorry you had to be affected DB. But you must be a very proactive person and I’m sure something will present itself.

24. DB,
    Sorry about the job. But I do have an idea – or category of ideas. The nice thing about tax season (try starting any other sentence with that phrase) is that many temp positions become available in places like H&R Block and the IRS. Some of these positions continue past April, and can become permanent. (It worked for my mom!) And all you really need… is what you already have.
    If you’re seriously considering relocating, Kansas City has a) H&R Block, b) the IRS, and c)Hallmark. Hallmark is one of the area’s largest employers, and they don’t just do cards. They need tech support people, creative people, all sorts of positions. You’d be as qualified as anyone else, if not more so.
    Also, my university is doing a career fair soon, and I can pass along anything I pick up there! I’m sure you’ll find something though. I have faith in you!

25. Oh, I’m so sorry DB! What a bummer. But I’m sure you’ll get back on a good track, maybe even a better one :)

Good luck!

26. SusieBlack says:

Oh, it’s difficult not to curse. I’m so sorry, DB.

With your awesome skills you will become employed again quickly. There are so many people pulling for you here.

There are a few progressive museums that need historians like you with analytical, research, and social media skills to develop their visitor and support base. I don’t know if the Dallas museum on this link is one of them, but maybe:

Its about 3/4 of the way down the list.

27. What a shock! I am beyond sorry, I’m stunned, it’s beyond unfair for this to happen to such a talented and hardworking person. My thoughts will be with you. I’m glad about Mr. DB’s job at the very least.
    Blessings.

28. FedChairman says:

Tough break! I am sorry for you. My dad lost his job in April and had a not-too-fun summer searching, though he finally did land a place. While I have not had this experience myself, I can empathize. Keep the faith! The Lord will provide!

Maybe you could take Stephen’s advice and load up on some Axe Body spray for the search…it couldn’t hurt! :) Best of luck to you!

29. i’m sorry for you losing your job. you’ll bounce back for sure :) here in Cali, my friend lost his job too and is looking hard…

30. ColbertGirl27 says:

I am so sorry DB. I can already tell from this blog that you would be a catch for any employer–organized, detail-oriented, professional. As some have suggested, this may be a blessing in disguise and lead to an even better, more rewarding job. I would be thrilled for you if TCR added you to their payroll as their official blogger. Really!

I’m afraid I don’t know anyone in Dallas, but I wish you the best of luck in your job search. You’re too valuable to be out of work. Someone is missing out!

31. looped linear says:

I’m sorry to hear about your bad news DB.

But I see from your Twitter that your former boss is strongly on your side. She seems like a sweetheart; it must boost your confidence a lot to have her so obviously in your corner.:) And I think her assistance will help in your search for a job.

Best of luck, and in the meantime, thank god for the Mr.’s job

32. Chuck Noblet says:

Sorry to hear about this DB. I was recently working for Circuit City as a seasonal myself. They let go of us seasonal about 3 weeks ago. I was hoping to be offered a job and that didn’t pan out, and then today I hear the announcement that CCity is closing permanently, 34,000 employees being let go, some of them my friends. Its really sad, and the worst is yet to come.

I hope you find a new place of work if that’s what you choose to do, best of luck!

33. You’ve been maintaining by far the best Colbert news site out there, I wouldn’t be surprised if you get a call from TCR. Good luck!

• Yeah. You could get paid for a job you already do and love. I just heard about CC yesterday. Was it from the bad economy? Unfortunately, that just makes stuff worse. I’m attaching a hug to this.

HUG!

34. supernova8610 says:

*gives DB big, huge non-bear hug*

35. Ugh! I’m so sorry, DB. I know how scared, sad, and angry losing your job can make you feel. I lost mine almost a year ago and I’m still looking for work. Just take some time, regroup, and hold your head up high with confidence and know that no matter what happens, you’ll be okay. This terrible economy has hit me and mine pretty hard as well, so I know a lot of people who are trying to cope and just get by.

And it’s no lie about the Unemployment Offices. The one in my area isn’t even answering the phone anymore.

But maybe it’s a blessing in disguise and that this is a fresh start to a brand spanking new shiny career ahead.

Just hang in there, and here’s a little something to cheer you up (it always cheers me up!):

36. ColbertsLassInNC says:

DB… I got the twitter messages as well as your blog updates about your job situation, and I am very sorry to hear the news… it honestly seems like everyone around me has been laid off or lost jobs in the past couple of months. I, also, will be laid off from my temporary job as of January 31st, so i’m about to be in the same boat as far as having to deal with unemployment is concerned.

You know, it’s good to know that being such an “it-getter” causes us to forget about reality sometimes, and relish in the fact that Stephen Colbert can always make us feel better when we are down. :)

Stay strong, keep blogging and don’t give up the search! You will be fine. I believe in you! We are here for you at NFZ!

**BIG HUGS**

37. DB –

most of us her at nofactzone.net feel like we’ve gotten to know you better over the years, and it’s so sad to hear of you losing your job. the economy definitely sucks. my job hasn’t been going great either – and seriously the hour of the daily show and the colbert report is the high point of my day. this website also helps put me in better spririts when i am down.

i don’t know anyone directly in the DFW area, but since i am from texas will definitely ask around a few people i know. but you will be in my thoughts and prayers that you find a job soon.

peace n’ love,
    anna

38. That sucks that you were laid off. I’m so sorry for you and many others this will happen to. Thanks for this wonderful blog.

39. Splendiferous_Zeppelin says:

DB, I don’t have anything to say but I wanted to add my best wishes to those assembled here. I know from this blog what an amazing employee you’d be. I hope you can keep faith in these difficult times. I send prayers and positive wishes your way.

40. if we weren’t family friendly, I would express more strongly my negative feelings about this situation for you DB! fill in the blanks if you will.

41. dodgerblu says:

So sorry to hear that DB! I got laid off last month, so I know how you feel :( I guess I thought that I was safe with my college degree, I worked as an engineer for a utility company, so it was quite a shock to me! Since the job market is so dry right now, one thing that I have strongly been considering is going back to school for a master’s degree. I know I’ll be even more in school loan debt when I get out, but I figure 2 years or so might be just enough time for the economy to start picking up, so I’ll have new skills in a new economy. That’s my best advice, but seeing as I’ve been unemployed for almost a month now, I might not be the best source of advice :) Good luck, and thanks for all you do for us!!

42. Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this terrible news, DB. I really hope you’re able to find an even better job through your current job search. Best of luck! I hope you are able to find a new job asap! Stay strong!

43. Oh DB, I’m so sorry! I’ll keep positive thoughts and such going your way. With all the contacts you have through this blog, hopefully something will turn up for you soon. I wish you all the best!

44. Gaia Faye says:

Oh, man, I’m so sorry, DB. :(

I don’t live anywhere near TX, so I don’t have any specific ideas, but when I was reading that series you wrote about blogging, specifically the part where you mention SEO, it reminded me when I was trying to find a job myself last year. A lot of web editing jobs wanted someone who knew about SEO, so maybe you could look into that field? It’s not a terribly helpful idea but it’s all I have to offer with my well wishes.

Like the man says, stay strong! <3

45. DB! I’m very sorry to hear the news!! how horrible!
    I wish I had some news for you, but alas, living in WA doesnt give me a whole lotta good contacts in TX. My dad is in Laredo though…so…

i feel your pain in some ways. many things are not going right right now for me either. i think you’re handling yours better though…i could cry at the drop of a hat. and sometimes it doesnt even take that. my best to you!
    *big bug hugs*

you’ll be in my thoughts and prayers, though i’m not so religious…
    *squishes*

46. Kinaesthesia says:

DB – adding my belated condolences to the loss of your job, or perhaps a loud “ARGH!” might be more appropriate. That’s a giant suckfest right there. Here’s to better opportunities ahead!

47. ChristyAllen says:

Oh my gosh…that’s horrible. So many people close to me have lost their jobs – even my brother. Then again, I do live in Michigan so…

Know you will be in my prayers.

Christy