Listen to NPR’s ‘Fresh Air’ interview with Stephen Colbert

Yay! I’ve been waiting for this to get posted; Terry Gross is such a wonderful interviewer, and she’s definitely an it-getter. Who know she had been present at one of the Philly shows? That’s so cool!

From NPR:

Satire In Your Stocking With ‘A Colbert Christmas’

Listen Now [30 min 46 sec] add to playlist
Photo by Brad Barket, Getty Images for Comedy Central

Fresh Air from WHYY, November 19, 2008 · Self-proclaimed “broadcasting legend” Stephen Colbert discusses his upcoming Comedy Central special, A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All. A take-off on the old holiday specials of yore, it will feature guests Toby Keith, Jon Stewart and Willie Nelson.

Colbert was named one of Time magazine’s 100 most influential people of 2006. He has received three Emmy awards for his work as a writer and faux correspondent on The Daily Show.

Make sure you click on that “Listen Now” link above ASAP.

Comments

1. Bah! I just remembered and I missed the beginning.

2. Oh this is precious. I love when he talks in a normal voice – level about things. (Non-O’Reilly yelling voice). Colbert Christmases sound magical…I love when he talks about his family.

• yeah if only everyone could know this stephen ;)

such a great interview…

• its interesting that he drops his persona for NPR. i wonder why…

• Terry Gross does not interview actors in character (she was one of the only ones to get Sacha Baron Cohen as himself during the Borat publicity). Her purpose of interviewing artists is to get insight into how they work.

She admitted to once interviewing ‘Triumph, the Insult Dog’, but only because she then interviewed Robert Smigel.

3. His description of his family Christmas was sweet, heartwarming and poignant. I imagine he’s continuing those traditions and giving great memories to his kids.

4. ColbertGirl27 says:

Hey MsI,

Why did you suggest we click on the link ASAP? Will I miss something if I listen to this later tonight or are you just saying the interview is just so fabulous that we should listen to it ASAP? If the latter, I understand:)

• My guess would be that it’s because it’s an awesome interview. :) Our enthusiasm lately has been a bit on the exuberant side.

5. Stephen mentioned having the the ‘place of honour’ on the 20th Annivesary show of Fresh Air, the show is here:
    Stephen comes in around 45:15 – easy to skip ahead to, although the whole show is pretty great.

• ColbertGirl27 says:

Awww. Thanks Jennie! Wow, his voice sounds so…intimate there. I like it!

6. Awesome. Thanks for the link. I’m going to go listen to it right now.

Maybe everyone else already saw this (I’m so behind, school/work=bleh) but I just noticed that Martha Stewart’s website has a short preview of what to expect from Colbert. If anyone hasn’t seen this yet, just follow this link (http://tinyurl.com/yobuuv) and click on the tab that says “Friday November 21.” Gotta love that sweater. (:

7. that might be my favorite interview ever

8. looped linear says:

What a great interview! Thanks for sharing that.

They-are-candles!! LOL

But they seem to have clipped out the bit with Elvis Costello; they announced it, and then moved straight into a discussion of the Philadelphia shows.

I’m hopping from foot to foot in anticipation of the Christmas show. =D

• They had commercials playing over it, when I heard it on the radio. So I guess they meant to clip the commercials but didn’t realize the song was still playing underneath it.

9. mrtigger001 says:

I didn’t pay close attention to the lyrics of “Another Christmas Song” until now and I just realized how ridiculous the lyrics are, hahaha.

10. Not only is Stephen a love junkie, he’s also apparently a junkie for exhaustion. Yeah, no kidding. I’m really starting to think he never sleeps. I’m simply amazed at the crazy amount of promotions he’s doing for this right after the election and after forgoing the October vacation. He’s gotta be exhausted.

• ColbertGirl27 says:

By Thanskgiving, I think it’s likely that the turkey will have more energy to eat him.

11. That was a really great interview! It’s always so nice to hear him out of character. It’s funny how his voice sort of sounds different when he is not in character and he is just speaking sincerely. And I loved hearing about his family’s Christmas traditions!

And thanks for that link, Jennie! I was curious as to what Colbert clip was played for the 20th Anniversary show. That was a cute image Stephen gave of him just sitting in his car in the driveway listening to it.

12. that was a very enjoyable interview. that lining up in age order story was very nice!

LET GO OF MY FEET!!!

13. Oh, a fantastic interview. I, too, love his non-”Stephen” voice. His sincere voice, as it were. The stories in this were fantastic, and I loved the mental image of Stephen sitting in his driveway, listening to the radio and waiting for Terry Gross to mention him. He’s such a love junkie, he really is.

• wildlymissingthemark says:

as a catholic, i couldn’t get over how traditional his family is with christmas. singing silent night in a processional to the family manger? i thought i was going to choke on the pure cuteness and sweetness of it.

• Spoon at a Spork Fight says:

I wonder if the happy memories of singing with all of his parents and siblings are part of what makes him love harmonizing with guests on the show so much (as mentioned in the TimeOut New York interview). I kind of hope so. And I love that he and the sibs still do that to celebrate.

I was prepped for him to say something serious about being an altar boy, so I laughed out loud when he talked about getting the ten bucks for doing midnight mass. :D

• ColbertGirl27 says:

Haha. Same here regarding the discussion of his being an altar boy. I’ve been Catholic all of my life and I never realized that altar boys (and now girls) were paid to serve during midnight mass. I wonder what Stephen did with his ten dollars. Did he go to the dollar store and buy a gift for each of his siblings?

• wildlymissingthemark says:

i love your screen name :)

• ColbertGirl27 says:

I almost cried as I listened to Stephen’s description of his family’s Christmas. Although our family never performed that beautiful procession, we also added hay to the crib in the little manger if we had been good. I almost wish the entire interview had focused solely on the Christmas special and his family traditions. Sigh. What an amazing man. I love him so….

14. wildlymissingthemark says:

i love terry’s interviews. she is the most it-gettiest of all interviewers out there right now.

15. patty wolford says:

I was sitting in a restaurant drive thru, long wait, last evening, and managed to listen to most of the interview with Stephen Colbert. Yes…so sweet, the Christmas stories, and I was tearing up as I tried to order the KFC dinner at the drive thru speaker.
    Stephen is my favorite man of all time.

16. “they are candles!” hahah, awesome.

I love Terry Gross interviews. This is so exciting.