Just catching up on all my e-mail and surfing after nearly a week on the road – of course NFZ was my first stop for news! Here are a few pieces from other sources. I apologize that in my jet-lagged condition I lost a few ‘tips’ but had the links in – so thank you to the now anonymous tipsters!
Pete Dominick – Live in El Paso
Coming up this week!
- Comedy corner: Pete Dominik – El Paso Times: “Pete Dominik, a veteran of the college tour circuit, has worked as the warm-up comic on Jon Stewart’s “The Daily Show” and “The Colbert Report,” both on Comedy Central. Dominik will perform at 8:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday and 8:30 and 10:45 p.m. Friday and Saturday and 7:30 p.m. April 8 at Bart Reed’s Comic Strip at 9515 Gateway West. ”
The Not-Exclusive interview with a ‘Tek Jansen’ writer
Tom Peyer is interviewed for the Seattle Times, giving some insight to his sense of humor. Of course the most informative interview with Mr. Peyer regarding the ‘Tek Jansen’ comic is found here at NFZ (from February 16, 2007)
- Seattleite adds truthiness to Colbert’s “Tek Jansen” – The Seattle Times: “Q: What’s Colbert’s involvement? Is he really writing the comic and just using you guys as fronts to avoid seeming omnipotent?
A: Mr. Colbert pays a great deal of attention to the creative team on this comic, focusing largely on dress code. If we’re writing, say, the best story in the world, we’d better be wearing navy-blue turtlenecks and khakis, or no one’s ever going to read it.”
Amy Sedaris lists the best hostess music – and it’s all available at Amazon!
No one does cross promotion better than Amazon.com. Despite my cynicism at the commercialism of Amazon.com’s motives here, it is a fun list to read.
- So you’d like to…See Amy Sedaris’s List of Music for Entertaining – Amazon.com: ”
As someone who keeps such eclectic company, it’s not surprising that Amy’s one of the world’s most creative hostesses. Not only is she the author of the tour-de-force book on entertaining, “I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence,” but she graciously agreed to share some of her favorite party music selections with Amazon customers:
Entertaining People Who Are 10 Years Younger Than Yourself–and Who Like to Sing Along in an Annoying Way
- “Reflections: Carly Simon’s Greatest Hits” (Key Track: “Anticipation”)
- “Tapestry,” Carole King (Key Track: “You’ve Got a Friend”)
- “Bella Donna,” Stevie Nicks (Key Track: “Outside the Rain”)
If I Was Just Entertaining Stephen Colbert
- Loudon Wainwright III–his choice.
You know it can’t stink as much as Fox News…
Yes, ‘The Onion’ has launched ONN – the Onion News Network, an on-line news video source. Is this why so many former Onion editors and staff have been seen lurking behind the scenes at TCR and TDS? There were articles in many major outlets but here ‘s a link from ABC news that covers it all…
- The Onion Takes on News Leaders With Video Reports – ABC News: “We are all over the world,” Mills said. “We have bureaus in 147 different countries and are broadcast in over 200 different languages … I think there is a demand for a 24-hour news network that isn’t a parody like ‘The Daily Show’ … People want to get the truth with a level of seriousness and integrity that only the Onion can bring.”
Below are 2 videos – the original promo for ONN and one of the first three pieces now available at the network website. The liquor and onion combo is leaving a funny taste in my mouth, but other than that I like it.